Ghosts of South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghosts of South Bend

I am a Junior Member here, but I was born into a Family of Craftsmen in South Bend, joined the SDC in June 1968 when I was 15 years old. I made this slide show of the Studebaker final assembly buildings and took all the color images. My Grandfather is pushing the Lark in one of the black & white images.

Since this image was first posted, I slowed down the frame rate in response to suggestions from StudeRich. I also added a little house that was probably present when the assembly plant was built. It is better to have more time with the images, but I do not want to break them up because they show what I saw on my trips to South Bend in 2002 and 2006. I only took the COLOR images. The black and white factory prints are available from Studebaker parts vendors. Feel free to give them some business.
    Last edited by JL Jacobson; 12-23-2011, 08:05 AM.

Very nice JL. I would say this is the best "1st" post I have ever seen!

Comment

I have been posting to my own web site at stude.net. I am baby boomer who is new here, but having a lot of fun. Seems as though Junior Members who have been in the SDC 40+ years could get an image by their name, especially a Studebaker image taken in South Bend, Indiana when Davy Crockett hats were the rage.

Last edited by JL Jacobson; 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM. Reason: Trying to get Junior Member image posted

Comment

JL and I have 'known' each other, electronically at least (!), over on the Edmunds' Studebaker site, constantly correcting the wise-a** moderator over there about Studebakers!
        Last edited by Bill Pressler; 12-21-2011, 04:35 PM.
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Nice pictures....welcome to the forum!
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Welcome , glad to have you aboard !, thanks for sharing the history and pictures with us.
            Joseph Kastellec

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum! It's good to have you here. With your Studebaker lineage, I'm sure you've got some great stories to tell!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

You bet, JL. Welcome to the forum, and 'hope to see more of your "goodies." BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Mt Shiftright is very biased against Studebakers. There should be a law against a Packard guy running a Studebaker forum, although I cannot complain too much because he did create that forum in the first place. I was going to send you an E-mail from Andy Ganatelli, but could never get your E-mail address from Edmunds. I am plannig to go to South Bend International Meet next year, so maybe we can meet. You inspired me to join this site by posting that image of December 9 Studebaker closing at Edmunds which was linked here.
                  Last edited by JL Jacobson; 12-22-2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I was active in the Chicago area from 1968-1972 when I joined the Army. I went to California after that and stayed active here. At that time, the most active members were Bill Pienta, Ken Holste, Dick Stewart, Hugh Studebaker, Larry Swanson and George Krem, who I believe is your cousin. I first rode in an Avanti when George gave me a ride in his after a meeting at Dick Stewart's home in 1969. After that experience, I just had to have one of those, and I did before I was 20 years old. I am honored and pleased to have you respond to my post.

Comment

My last post was directed to Bob Palma. I thought I would have my Avanti forever, but another
                      Stude came along and I had to make a hard choice.

Last edited by JL Jacobson; 12-18-2011, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Cool!! The slide shows make it hard to read the posts,but I like!!
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Hello JL, welcome to the SDC Forum, glad to have another "Old Timer" here to keep these "Kids" on track!
                          I and many others here have been in SDC since around 1968, in my case and I think Gary Lindstrom, exactly then.

I love your Pics, but now I know why no one has ever done a slideshow here! Most of us have EYES too old to actually SEE 3 second flashes anymore. That really annoys me how they now do that on TV a lot, mostly with commercials however.

A Studebaker Forum named: Edmunds Studebaker????? I don't see the connection between the two: Studebaker and multiple Carb. Intakes and High Compression heads?
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-18-2011, 08:28 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by JL Jacobson View Post
                            Mt Shiftright is very biased against Studebakers. There should be a law against a Packard guy running a Studebaker forum.
                            I went over there to look around. I see what you mean. I think if this guy was judging at a meet and I was the owner of a Studebaker that was in the judging lineup I'd demand that he recuse himself.

As the owner of a P.H., I was kind of offended with some of the stuff he was saying about those cars made by S-P in 1957 and 1958.

Should be shun Lexus' because they're made by Toyota? How about if people were to refuse to buy M-B any more because of M-B's hook up with Chrysler?

A vehicle is whatever it's manufacturer calls it and what it's first registered as, regardless of who manufactures it. That horse's ass with teeth should learn that and as a moderator he should leave his biases at home.

Mike O'Handley
                            Kenmore, Washington
                            hausdok@msn.com

P.S.

Mr. Jacobson, I'm a new guy here so I really haven't been around long enough to say welcome but I really loved your site. Very enjoyable reading. By the way, can you tell the rest of us what kind of HTML coding you use to create those little slide shows?
                            Last edited by hausdok; 12-18-2011, 05:13 PM.
                            Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                            Kenmore, Washington
                            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                            '69 Pontiac Firebird
                            (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                              P.S.

Mr. Jacobson, I'm a new guy here so I really haven't been around long enough to say welcome but I really loved your site. Very enjoyable reading. By the way, can you tell the rest of us what kind of HTML coding you use to create those little slide shows?
                              I am a new guy here too and don't know how this site works yet. It was nice you took time to check out my web site. I make those musical slide shows with a Windows Movie Maker 10 available with Windows or download at Microsoft. They have a “wma” file extension. I then post them at Photobucket or link to my web site.

Here is one I made from a 1962 Studebaker Lark commercial. This link did not work at first, but I fixed it. http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/...thyKylie-1.mp4

Slide show includes these images & Oscar Mayer Wienermobile designed by Brooks Stevens. You can make these for free at Glickr.com

Last edited by JL Jacobson; 12-20-2011, 07:39 PM. Reason: Fixed hypertext link - Add gif file

Comment

Working...
                              X