The "Parts" car..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Parts" car..

I thought it best to start a real thread..instead of taking the "Purist" thread off direction..
    Like I said..first car I bought built..and more nervously..first bought Sight Unseen..in person.!
    Waiting..patiently..what did I do ??
    A week later I see a truck..

Looks good from this difficult angle. I am crawling all over transporter..driver was OK..iwth me all over the racks.

Ok Stude Gents..
    See anything I missed ?

Looks well done..I have checked welds up close..nice penetration..nice welds..good finish and grinds

Comment

Like them tires and wheels .

Comment

Suspension front is 1984 Dodge Police Interceptor Diplomat. Small torsion bars..Gas after market shocks

Has added crossmember.. but I have read about the "batwing" from the later models..and may consider that or just stiffing and maybe some boxing if I feel the frame is too flexy.
        I like both the coupe and the Starliner Hdtp..but it would seem the lack of the pillar will make it less rigid..

Read many threads here already and eleswhere about the pros n cons of the Batwing mod..so I need to feel the car on different surfaces and speeds..
        That will be some of the fun part.

Comment

So the Power Train is all GM except the Rear Axle, Ford?

Better sell it, it's got '53 Grilles and '54 tail lights! Lol!

I should be able to get it cheap knowing that!
          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-17-2011, 06:58 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry arrggh..
            I will be going this way..matter of personal fit for me..Just not a WWW guy..!

Comment

Originally posted by parts View Post
              Sorry arrggh..
              I like it! We have the same taste in wheels/tires...

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Rich..
                Engine is 355 rebuilt 4 bolt block from One Ton Truck.. World Sportsman heads about 9.5:1 ..Edelbrock Dual Plenum manifold with Edelbrock 650cfm manual choke carb. Comp cam with some strong lope..getting Model number from previous owner to do some fine tuning for greatly differnet altitude and weather here in the desert. This car will be in 2800ft to 9000ft operating range compared to mid state Michigan.
                Trans is 4L60E with servo kit so really a 700R..but has 4L60E part numbers. My first automatic hot rod..so looking at this more. Everything I have ever built has been 4spds.
                Rear is Dodge cop car 8 3/4" with Stude springs .rebuilt with two leaves removed with Stude Gas shocks aftermarket..and bags. Again..my first bagged car..as everything I have done has been sports or race type cars.

However the motor has been disguised as a......Cadillac..!

Previous owner wanted to make a Studillac but could afford the motor but could afford to make the valve covers he said !..
                Not my thing but he is a great guy and built a nice car..so no problem changing these.

While the effort to make this so "period" is excellent the lope and general nastiness of the exhaust and obvious strength of the motor is a different period..more 60s than 50s..and where I am going
                Last edited by parts2; 12-17-2011, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Dick..
                  I like that car !
                  What size are the tires and wheels ?

I am ordering some..looks like plenty of room in rear..

I am chroming the grille surrounds..still undecided on the headlight rings. I think I'll buy a set..paint them body color and decide..maybe even alternate for a bit..

Also looking at the chrome around window and drip rail..and under windshield..
                  Last edited by parts2; 12-17-2011, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Sorry arrggh..
                    Parts

A great looking car, nice buy and welcome aboard.

Go drive the wheels off of that bad boy and tell us what you think of the suspension changes.

One of the most discussed mods to a Stude is the front suspension. Your data could be very valuable to the forum.

Did I say, Nice Car!!

Bob

Comment

Dick..
                      I like that car !
                      What size are the tires and wheels ?

I am ordering some..looks like plenty of room in rear..

I am chroming the grille surrounds..still undecided on the headlight rings. I think I'll buy a set..paint them body color and decide..maybe even alternate for a bit..

Also looking at the chrome around window and drip rail..and under windshield..
                      Parts

Here are the painted front end of my 54K. Pick what you like for yours.

Bob

Comment

Wow , Those are nice tires and wheels !

Comment

Guts..
                          Again if I am wrong on what is the year or model of seats etc..please let me know. New to Studebaker.. On Jaguars I can tell you most every detail year and VIN number for changes. So..let me know. I already found out the Dash is '56-'61.
                          Seats front and rear..1962 Hawk GT. Seems to be real leather..smells like leather...but then I was wearing a leather jacket today..
                          All new..on stock hardware..

Rear

New headliner..looks like leather..maybe..or very nice imitation..either way OK.

Dash..

Has Southern Air AC and heat. Center vent is concealed..vented through speaker grille. AM/FM CD MP3 is under Radio Delete plate.. Nice touches..
                          Genie shifter for the 4L60E/700R.

Welp..that's about it.
                          Last edited by parts2; 12-19-2011, 10:27 PM.

Comment

The rear end is an 8 1/4" Mopar unit----------the rubber fill plug is a dead giveaway.
                            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Sorry arrggh..
                              Oh man, that's a beauty. I never get tired of '53s, and I'm a sucker for '53s with mag wheels.
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X