United Press International Camera Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Press International Camera Car

Here is the Dash Copy (Green Copy) of the Production order for one of the Fleet of UPI Wagonaires that I found recently in the end box of the dash frame all crumpled up. A few years ago we unknowingly parted out the rust bucket, it was a very well equipped car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 UPI Wagonaire 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1734489
    Click image for larger version

Name:	JimsPixFerndale0003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1734490It gave up it's 259 Engine to a very nice Red '55 1 Ton Dually Stakebed that is now in the Bell Collection Studebaker Museum.
    The H.D. Rear Springs are in another Bell Collection car, a beautiful Rose Mist R1 Powered '63 Cruiser. So many good parts were salvaged to keep nicer Studes. running and driving.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-17-2011, 06:30 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

I think I see it, second from left. Yes, I'm sure that's it. I note no serial number on the p.o. Did you happen to keep that?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Gee, do you think they got their Pic? Lol!

I looked all over for an old Reg. Card or note with the Serial Number, but as of now I haven't found it, the Dash Copies for some reason do not include the Serial # like the other copies do.
      StudeRich
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dick,
        Was not a black & white movie made with these Wagons at the time? Some footage was added from previous events such as the Hindenburg crash at Lakehurst, New Jersey along with other noteable events captured by the movie lens. I recall the movie went for around 12 minutes & the vapour trails from the Studebakers suggested it was very cold when filming. I did own a copy of the film but sold it recently.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

Comment

These remind me of the movie platform Wagonaires used by Lowell Thomas (Pawling, Dutchess County, NY). Are they the same ones or similar? I remember MovieTone News in movie theatres.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
            Dick,
            Was not a black & white movie made with these Wagons at the time? Some footage was added from previous events such as the Hindenburg crash at Lakehurst, New Jersey along with other noteable events captured by the movie lens. I recall the movie went for around 12 minutes & the vapour trails from the Studebakers suggested it was very cold when filming. I did own a copy of the film but sold it recently.
            Yes, you are correct. In fact I believe I have it in 16mm but have not viewed it in years. Maybe someone posted it on youtube?
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              I think I see it, second from left. Yes, I'm sure that's it. I note no serial number on the p.o. Did you happen to keep that?
              UM...........UHHHH.....Those in the photo are '63's. The PO is for a 1964 Wagonaire!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

Dick: I'm not sure if you're pulling our leg, but note that the dash copy Rich posted is for a 1964 model year Wagonaire, whereas the ones in this image are part of the 1963 "fleet" delivered to United Press International.

Because the 1964 models were Daytona Wagonaires and Astra White, I have a higher-than-average interest in them.

A few years back, one was advertised in Turning Wheels in Fredericksburg VA, not that far from Washington DC. Bill Pressler alerted me to it as I had not yet received that issue of Turning Wheels, but we were going to visit our son in DC in just a couple days. As a result of Bill's heads-up, we made an appointment while in DC and went to see the car. I looked up the Serial Number and it was a UPI car.

Sadly, while the car was operable, the condition did not justify the price asked (in my opinion), so I passed on it and do not regret having done so....much as I'd like to buy a nice, factory Astra White 1964 Daytona Wagonaire. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I noted that the seller of the '51 Champion Starlight Coupe PHOTO going to the Museum, mentioned that many of his Pics came from UPI, and there is that '64 White Wagonaire with a locking gas cap right there in the parking lot behind it!

That is in Richard Quinn's post titled: Interesting SDC related photo from 1968
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

How come this camera guy did`nt get his own car ?
                    Must be the new guy ?

Comment

There was also a (Dinky?) toy made of this with the cammera man in the back if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by 5859 View Post
                        There was also a (Dinky?) toy made of this with the cammera man in the back if I remember correctly.
                        I have a couple. They are Husky and Corgi. They are 1964, not 1963, models.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 5859 View Post
                          You are correct but they were all 1964 Wagonaires in various colors done primarily by Husky & Corgi of England & about 3" long.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                          MELBOURNE.

Comment

I have a Matchbox '64 Wagonaire here. And I have seen the camera car version as well, but never owned that one. I also had well-known Husky Wagonaire Ambulance at one time, which was probably the most interesting of all of them with that blue-tint transparent sliding roof panel. Makes one wonder why no one has modified a real Wagonaire with a transparent sliding roof panel yet!

Craig

Comment

One of our chapter members has a 63 camera car that was used for movies I think, it is just sitting covered up and going to pot, any one interested?
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X