Crossover/interchange part number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Crossover/interchange part number

Anybody have a good Napa/oreilly/LAP number for a 1961 Hawk Clutch/cutch kt? Mine's a 289 4bbl with 3 speed on the column and overdrive. Not sure if mine's a 10 or 11 inch, one of the old NAPA listings on Bob Johnstones site lists a 10-1/8 for a v-8 Hawk or Lark (old Napa # r1806), but the same source lists a Hawk with a 289 (210 HP) as an 11 inch clutch (Napa R-2572).
    Since i work in a parts department, If I can get a good number for a clutch kit, I can get it at my dealer's discount...I'm not usually a CASO, but this time of year I am!!

My napa book says 61 clutch cover = CA-1555 in rayloc brand
    and 60 hawk = 361456

clutch plate with facing = 7248 for 10 1/4" but it says that is 55-60

throwout bearing = s-1136

My book is a 62 version, so it may not have all the 61 stuff in it.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The disc is a 10.5" GM, 10 splines X 1 3/8". I'd like to know the clutch plate assy interchange info also, since I'll be replacing the clutch & disc in the GT during an upcoming engine swap. One thing for sure, I will not put a HD clutch in any Stude V8. Did that once; too much pedal pressure, and too much wear & tear on the linkage. Weak points that failed were the ears on the pivot shaft inside the bellhousing that push the T/O bearing (should be welded anyway), and the coupler that connects the two shafts coming out of the frame (cracks and is not repairable).

So, I'd like to know interchange with a standard clutch plate assy.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        The disc is a 10.5" GM, 10 splines X 1 3/8". I'd like to know the clutch plate assy interchange info also, since I'll be replacing the clutch & disc in the GT during an upcoming engine swap. One thing for sure, I will not put a HD clutch in any Stude V8. Did that once; too much pedal pressure, and too much wear & tear on the linkage. Weak points that failed were the ears on the pivot shaft inside the bellhousing that push the T/O bearing (should be welded anyway), and the coupler that connects the two shafts coming out of the frame (cracks and is not repairable).

So, I'd like to know interchange with a standard clutch plate assy.
        Isn't the disc 10 spline x 1 1/8" intead of 1 3/8"?

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
          Isn't the disc 10 spline x 1 1/8" intead of 1 3/8"?

Ted
          Hi Ted,
          I was going by one I have handy to measure. It came out of a 1957 Transtar that had the original T85 tranny and bellhousing, behind a 1963 259 engine. I just went out into the garage and re-measured; definitely 1 3/8". I wonder if the mix-match combo described above has anything to do with the differenct measurement? Guess I better check it out a little more before just going and buying a new one. I like knowing it is GM, cause its possible to buy a real good one, i.e. kevlar. I am thinking of just sending that truck pressure plate to Ft. Wayne Clutch and having them rebuild it, to standard specs for the GT Hawk.
          I am coming to the Indi Chapter Christmas party today, so will just throw the disc & pres. plate in the trunk of the 56J and maybe get you to take a look and advise me.

Comment

The last clutch kit I bought from NAPA is the LAST kit I will buy from there. One month later the throw out bearing went out while driving home from Santa Monica. Turned out the bearing was made in China-real junk! Replaced the disc, pressure plate & t-o bearing with one from Centerforce. Low pedal pressure & grabs great for over 12 years now.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hi Ted,
              I was going by one I have handy to measure. It came out of a 1957 Transtar that had the original T85 tranny and bellhousing, behind a 1963 259 engine. I just went out into the garage and re-measured; definitely 1 3/8". I wonder if the mix-match combo described above has anything to do with the differenct measurement? Guess I better check it out a little more before just going and buying a new one. I like knowing it is GM, cause its possible to buy a real good one, i.e. kevlar. I am thinking of just sending that truck pressure plate to Ft. Wayne Clutch and having them rebuild it, to standard specs for the GT Hawk.
              I am coming to the Indi Chapter Christmas party today, so will just throw the disc & pres. plate in the trunk of the 56J and maybe get you to take a look and advise me.
              Your disc is for a T85, which IIRC have a larger input spline diameter than a T85.

Subsequent Edit: WRONG!! See a couple of posts down..............
              Last edited by r1lark; 12-18-2011, 12:06 PM.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                Your disc is for a T85, which IIRC have a larger input spline diameter than a T85.
                I'm pretty sure all V8s are the same spine: T-10, T-85, T-86, T-89, etc.

Been reading 55-58, & 59-64 Stude parts and shop manuals, and SI's catalog. In Si's catalog, all listings are for 1 1/8" discs, so don't know what's up with the 1 3/8" from the truck setup I mentioned.

Lots of info to sift thru, but it looks like most all V8s since 1961 used 10.5" facings. Also,the standard clutch for 259 is a stand alone; the standard clutch for 289 is considered HD for 259; the taxis, polices & station wagons use a HD 289 clutch, and the JT engines and 4-speeds use even heavier duty. I am thinking the one I am after is the standard 289. Looks like SI has a competetive price, but I hate having to ship the old stuff first.

Comment

I'm pretty sure all V8s are the same spine: T-10, T-85, T-86, T-89, etc.
                  Yep, you are correct. Checked an old Blue Chip clutch catalog, and pretty much all the V8s are 1-1/8". My bad.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

My experience has been that a rebuilt clutch cover/pressure plate will have the strongest springs in it to fit any application. If you don't have your engine souped up and would like a clutch that is easier to press, could you ask them for lighter springs, or at least for the correct springs?

I like the idea of a centerforce clutch, as they depend on centrifugal force to increase pressure. But when I wrote to them many years ago, they did not have the time to answer Studebaker questions. Maybe they do now.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I went to the Centerforce web site and reviewed some of the fittment info, i..e how to measure pressure plate to flywheel mount holes. After measuring a flywheel their way out in the garage (12 5/8") it looks like pressure plates and discs from misc 70-80s GM may fit. Further research is needed however, before running out and buying anything.

Comment

DUH,
                        I finally wised up and did a search here for "clutch interchange". As usual, there is nothing new under the sun. This topic has been addressed several times, and there is lots of good info already available for the reading.

Comment

Is there anything special that you need to do to use the diaphragm style pressure plate? Can you still use the same throw out bearing or is it a different part number?

I'll probably go with the McLeod Street(360703) clutch kit that Alan recommends here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ch+interchange

However there is the kit in the link below for under a $100 also.

Nick

Comment

Nick, please don't tell me you would actually BUY Auto Parts, or worse yet STUDEBAKER Parts, from "amazondotwedontknow nuttin"!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              Nick, please don't tell me you would actually BUY Auto Parts, or worse yet STUDEBAKER Parts, from "amazondotwedontknow nuttin"!
                              Nothing against them but for some reason I have a hard time buying auto parts from a book store. I posted that link because it was easier to link to than the Rock Auto page, which is cheaper.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X