• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker gas tank, what is it?

Posted on St Louis craigslist.

Anyone know what it is?
    TDITS The Dude In The Stude

It hung somewhere on the car and was used by dealers to show just how many miles one could drive on one gallon of gas.

Comment

I think it's a tool to test gas mileage.
      Jeff DeWitt
      http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

I think you guys are right. The Ford dealer I worked for in 1959 had one that looked siimular.

Comment

The Scotsman Dealer demos had them mounted on the right Door to see how far you could go on a Gallon, when carefully driven you could go 25 to 29 Miles.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Interesting.
            It's a cool piece but I can't justify the money this close to Christmas.
            TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Just another great opportunity for the Studebaker collector that has everything???
              Good Roads
              Brian
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Those dimensions must be approximate for the canister or they did not fill it all the way up. I like math, so I did a quick calculation and I came up with 1.43 gallons of capacity in that canister. I am no mathematician of course, but I do use alot of math in construction.

He gives the size as 6.5" Diameter and 10" tall. So 6.5" Diameter= 3.25 radius. Area of a circle = Pie x R2. So that is 3.25x3.25=10.56 x 3.14{reduced} =33.1584 sq. inches in a 6.5" circle. Now times that by the 10" height and you get 331.5 cubic inches in that container. A gallon is only 231 cubic inches. Divide the 331.5 by the 231 and you get 1.43 gallons total capacity.

I know this oddly enough because I built a custom VW baja bug and built my own tank that fit behind the rear seat and filled next to the rear window with a filler neck I got off of an old Buick. I measured up my compartment size, and calculated the size. I built a sheetmetal box and brazed it all together. It held fuel perfectly with no leaks and I was less than a quart off on my size/capacity calculation. Not bad for a dumb carpenter....of 16 yrs old.

Comment

Working...
                X