Was Two-toning a factory option in 1962

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Two-toning a factory option in 1962

Did the factory offer 2-tone Studebaker Larks and Hawks?
    \"Life is short, write in pen\"

Once saw a 62 Lark,black with white top (from the rain gutters up) and had been told was factory (?)
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks. Also, how would it have been done on convertibles?
      \"Life is short, write in pen\"

Comment

Originally posted by texbodemer View Post
        Did the factory offer 2-tone Studebaker Larks and Hawks?
        No they did not.

Comment

AFAIK, two toning was not offered by the factory on the Larks, except on certain fleet orders. Two toning on non-fleet orders was often a 'dealer-installed' option, it seems, and I think there were memorandums to that effect. Two toning ceased with the Hawks in 61 I think, and that was limited even then to the flash on the rear quarter. Two-toning was more a 50s thing.

My 63 Wagonaire when I purchased it had been imaginatively two toned sometime in its like, because it was originally an Ermine white car with two-tone blue interior. Top of the roof and below the Daytona trim was pale blue, above the trim and up the A, B, and C pillars was navy. There is a slightly descending sight line crease in the top/side of the 63 Wagonaire, at the front down to nothing, and more noticeable at the back. This was also painted the pale blue of the roof. It looked quite good, and a "natural" even if never factory.

For the 63 Studebakers with the belt line trim, different colours above and below would seem to be an easy modification if you were a fan of two toning, as long as you melded it carefully on the front and rear panels, as the trim was not continuous.
          Last edited by Jim B PEI; 12-14-2011, 03:26 PM. Reason: Hawks, belt line trim

Comment

Many moons ago I painted my Daughters 63 Daytona HT red with the top and rear deck white. We are now working on a 60 HT for my grandson. So far it's black with top and rear deck in dark green. I think they look pretty good done that way. I have a 4dr 62 Lark that is Calypso green with a white top, and I have a customers 62 4dr that is PINK with a white top.
            I guess I am a fan of two tone Larks
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by texbodemer View Post
              Thanks. Also, how would it have been done on convertibles?
              Since it was not done on any fully Painted '59-'66 Studebaker Cars, that answer would would also be: "It wasn't".
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Studebaker Fact books of the sixties for the salesmen certainly dont show any two tone options.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
                X