Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Studebaker model car?

I have never seen one so I am asking.
    Was there ever any model cars made of a 1958 Studebaker Commander?
    Some consider this year to be ugly, I don't.
    I would like to find one if there were any made.
    It doesn't matter if it's plastic or metal..
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

George, you know that I and others share your sentiments, but I doubt there's ever been any models of 58 sedans produced in any medium. I don't even think Studebaker had such made for promotional uses that year. Bet you could find a '58 Golden Hawk, but no 58 sedan of ANY sort. Of course, if someone DID do this, youi just know they'd opt to do a President - just because it was the top-of-the-line rendition. This even tho the Commanders - especially the J-bodies - were the best-looking sedans of that year.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I am pretty sure there was a friction drive promo model of a 58 Pres........

Comment

I couldn't find a 51 Bullet nose sedan so I had to have one made. Of course, you have to give up your CASO card to do it, but it was worth it for me.

BTW, you don't have to bury yourself in it like I plan to do.
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I would check with the Shrock Brothers.
          There were no 1958 Studebaker promos of any body types.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I didn't think there were any made, but thought I would check here.
            The friction drive one would be interesting. I have found that most of those that I have seen
            are made of tin and don't resemble the actual car.
            Again, thank you..
            George King
            Grants Pass, Oregon
            64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

This subject is interesting to me. I just got a mailer from Danbury Mint. In fact, I get a lot of solicitations from them. This Christmas edition has a great picture of their '55 President Coupe on the cover. They have a good selection of Studebaker cars and offer a couple of trucks.

The interesting thing about the '55 Coupe is that they claim they are only offering it as a limited edition of 5000 cars. At approximately $150.00 per car, that means that we are talking about $750,000.00 total. What this means is that they can make a profit by manufacturing only 5000 of any car. Think about it. Look at the mailings, slick photography, and all the promotions they do.

Considering that the SDC has over 10,000 members, it looks to me that the numbers of committed Studebaker fans are sufficient to put the production of just about any Studebaker made in play.

Combine the numbers of SDC membership with the potential of collectors who are willing to spring for any well made die-cast, and the market is in place. Consider their worldwide advertising campaigns and I think they could reasonably produce die-cast Presidents and Land Cruiser Sedans along with C-Cab Trucks. I believe the collectors of the big Packard and Cadillac sedans, already in production, would also spring for a 1930's Studebaker President as well.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I think the closest you will come is this 1957 Studebaker by Dinky.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X