44 rear end gears and numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44 rear end gears and numbers

Today Pat and I started looking at a few rear end I have starched in my garage, on a pair of them the tags read 47 over 12 3.92 ???? I always thought that there were 3.92 gears but a lot of people said no never was only 3.73 and then 4.10, well I have 2 of them.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Of course they had 3.92 gears, I don't believe they were still being offered by the time the Larks came out though.

Joe
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Comment

That would indeed be a 3.92 Bob but like you I have never seen one but knew they were available.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

That would be THE ticket for a OHV 185 with OD!

Comment

The 3.92's are most often found in 1956 or 1957 V-8's with Overdrive, I got one from a '56 Commander Wagon.

They are rare because they were not used after, I believe 1957. They should be the old style with a Diff. Drain Plug and the little straight slotted screws on the back sides of the Wheel Bearing "pocket" bellmouth portion for zerk fittings.
          If you are lucky enough to have a TT, it would be the old type with flat clutches, not cone type.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Did'nt they offer 3:92 rears in the 64 different by design show room book ?
            Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            The 3.92's are most often found in 1956 or 1957 V-8's with Overdrive, I got one from a '56 Commander Wagon.

They are rare because they were not used after, I believe 1957. They should be the old style with a Diff. Drain Plug and the little straight slotted screws on the back sides of the Wheel Bearing "pocket" bellmouth portion for zerk fittings.
            If you are lucky enough to have a TT, it would be the old type with flat clutches, not cone type.
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I at one time had a '57 Silver Hawk with V-8 and overdrive that was a 3.92.

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                Did'nt they offer 3:92 rears in the 64 different by design show room book ?
                Yes, I see it here under a ** note: Additional Axle Ratios: 2.87, 3.07, 3.92, 4.09, 4.27, 4.55, 4.89 available at extra cost.
                But they were not the standard well known available ratios that were actually normally ordered, I doubt that 5 if any, of those on each end, were ordered except of course for Paxton Prods. for their Bonneville Runs or Hot Rod Mag. Have you seen one from the Factory?
                Last edited by StudeRich; 12-08-2011, 09:18 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  Today Pat and I started looking at a few rear end I have starched in my garage, on a pair of them the tags read 47 over 12 3.92 ???? I always thought that there were 3.92 gears but a lot of people said no never was only 3.73 and then 4.10, well I have 2 of them.
                  The 3.92 axle ratio was "Standard" on '56 Golden Hawks with 3 Spd. O.D. tranny.

Comment

Working...
                  X