A/C for 1962 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C for 1962 Lark

Just wondering whether (and cost) anyone has the evaporator suitable for the 1962 Lark?

Has anyone used a Vintage Air combined heat/cool unit.

Not installing until restoration but handy to have a unit. preferably not one with rusty components, if possible.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Just a few observations, on the Vintage Air Product, I watched a guy install one of those combined systems in a beautiful 57 Chevy. The kit was great, it was complete and although it was tough putting it in a car that was all together(hard turning around, and working under the dash), it went together nicely. And all worked as advertised. The hardest part that I remember was him trying to get the fan shroud to work. He did a lot of trimming.

Comment

Thanks Chuck, that's probably the way to go, my thoughts are to get advice from competent installers working with the folks who will restore the car so that all works as it should. Still a couple of years away I think until money is available.
      John Clements

Comment

Saw two evaporators at Reedsville.

If an original evaporator is intact and holds pressure it can be piped to any modern compressor and condenser.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have used the Vintage Air combined heat/cool units.
          They are well made, and their tech support is super.
          Last I knew they were made here in Texas
          1947 M5 under restoration
          a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
            Just wondering whether (and cost) anyone has the evaporator suitable for the 1962 Lark?

Not installing until restoration but handy to have a unit. preferably not one with rusty components, if possible.
            I have an original unit here in OZ John, just like in the photo that rockne 10 put up.
            Brian Greenall
            Melbourne, OZ
            sigpic

Comment

That's fine, am wondering if it's better to use a combined heat/cool unit then I could have defrosters? Food for thought anyway.
              John Clements

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post

Uh; assuming that your car is RHD, you may have some installation issues unless everything fits under the middle of the dash. I realize that 1962 Larks use the same instrument panel for both left and right hookers but still........
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

My intentions are to get this all worked out before restoring the vehicle. I have a business I wish to use who restored a friend's son's 1971 Holden HT Monaro which recently won best restored HT at the local Monaro show. I plan to discuss my thoughts re A/C and upgrading the lighing to LCD maybe but basically keep the car stock. These businesses have contacts who know cars and so, all will be determined before any work is done, thus (I hope) avoiding any issues.

Probably a couple of years or so before anything can happen, they don't work for free (smile).
                  John Clements

Comment

Someone correct me if I am wrong but, I believe the heat/cool combined units mix the air. The A/C runs when defrosting even in cold weather, dissipating humidity.
                    I've noticed in my A/C equipped S-10 it takes quite a bit longer to get the heated air than it took in previous vehicles without A/C.
                    When the heat is called for it must overcome the cooling action that is in the nature of the unit.
                    Not sure if I stated that correctly but, hope you understand my observation.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I think the concept is that the A/C strips the humidity from the heated air thus you can be warm without being in a Sauna.

The people who know these things will be able to advise me how to proceed I imagine.
                      John Clements

Comment

My main concern is to have it all worked out before restoration, you often see letters in magazines as to why components x + y won't work together and it seems people buy an assortment of stuff and then find it won't work instead of obtaining competent advice and purchasing the optimal equipment.
                        John Clements

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                          Saw two evaporators at Reedsville.

If an original evaporator is intact and holds pressure it can be piped to any modern compressor and condenser.
                          Just curious, Brad, any idea the asking prices on these?
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Rick Eierman was the vendor of the '64 evap was asking $100 with original condensor. Tom K had the earlier model but I didn't ask him.
                            Last edited by rockne10; 12-10-2011, 08:15 AM.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                            X