New to Forum-Looking at a 64 Challenger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Forum-Looking at a 64 Challenger

I'm looking at a 64 Challenger, think that's right, and wanted to get some opinions on the car. Car looks solid, has a semi-new crate 350, interior looks good, new exhaust, new tires, Chevy s10 rear-end. Car is flat black, rat rod look. Needs a few things here and there, molding, trim pieces etc. Guy is asking $3500, that includes another rear end(shorter gears), another working 4 spd trany(one in the car just went out, will run in high gear), odd and end trim pieces, extra headlights, etc. What do you think? Never really looked at Studebaker's but it looks like a lot of fun. Side note, what is the factory lug pattern?

Lots of variables, there, Chris, but the car could be worth the asking price (or close) if it has never been especially rusty. Check the floors, the upper sides of the trunk walls, etc., for cancerous rust or improper repairs, like huge sheets of metal pop-riveted in place.

The original wheel bolt pattern was 4 1/2" on five, like Fords and Chryslers. But you said this car has an S-10 rear end, so they may have changed it to 4 3/4 X 5 on the rear...or even fitted something else on the front and changed it, too.

Welcome to our world. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Trunk looks good, gave it a good look over, my father in-law was with me, it's actually one of his friends, and he has a couple of muscle cars, my favorite being his 62 vette convertible with a 406, so he was looking in the usual rust spots as well, thanks for the input, I should talk to the guy today, if I pull the trigger I'll upload some pics

Considering going to more of a stock look if I get it, where's a good place to find parts?

Comment

I bought a 66 Daytona with a Chevy 350/700R4 combo in it for $2800 a couple of years ago (see the picture in my signature). The car is a blast! This car sounds more complete than mine was when I got it. It sounds like a good deal if it was out together right and there is little to no rust (as stated above). Considering the car is little more than twice the price of a bare-bones crate engine, it seems hard to go wrong.

Parts (reproduction and NOS can be found at Studebaker International (www.studebaker-intl.com) and many other vendors: www.studebakervendors.com.

I look forward to pics if you buy it.
        Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        \'60 Lark HT
        \'63 Wagonaire
        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Chris please put your location in so that we can help you better. Thanks
          Anne
          WElcome to the World of Studebakers
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

I say go for it. I have lots more money in my 66 converted to look like a 64 clone. It is/was a total rust bucket. I fixed the problems with the body to the best of my abilities. Which sometimes weren't too good!!! That being said, I know I would have been a lot better off starting with a car in better shape. The problem is at that time this rust bucket was all I could afford. I worked on it as funds allow and turned it into a decent driver that still needs a fortune spent on it. I will never come close to getting out of it what I have in it. I don't care though, because I am not going to sell it and it has brought me a great deal of pleasure. My point to this story is if you like the car and it looks like something you might keep for awhile, buy it. You don't get much for$3500 dollars anymore, and Studebaker Challengers don't come along every day.
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

If you buy the car we can have a mini-club of 64-66 high-powered primered Studes!
              Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              \'60 Lark HT
              \'63 Wagonaire
              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

It will be more desirable/valuable if it is a 2 Door Sedan, but then if it's a 4 Door, it has a thicker Frame better suited for more Power.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
                  If you buy the car we can have a mini-club of 64-66 high-powered primered Studes!
                  I would like to join!!!!!!! Look at my signature pic. I would say it qualifies
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Absolutely, Kurt! Our cars are like 2 peas in a pod. Check out my Webshots for the build so far: http://community.webshots.com/user/apenaut (Albums Daytona 1 -5).
                    Scott Rodgers
                    Los Angeles
                    SDC Member since 1989
                    \'60 Lark HT
                    \'63 Wagonaire
                    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Welcome to Studebaker "wonder-world" Chris. One nice feature about the Challenger model is you don't have to spend a ton of money on re-plating lots of chrome and polishing a lot of stainless trim! I "assembled" this Challenger in the late 70's-early- 80's. Used some left over Daytona bucket seats, painted the door panels with black Marhyde, and made my own instrument panel with SW guages. It's shod with 8" wheels front and rear, with 215/70/HR/15 Goodyear Eagle GTs. Powered by an R2 with a John Reed (aka "Reed Cams, Inc") model SPL-256-8 cam, R3 headers and a few more goodies. T-10 4-speed with a 3:73 Twin Traction. Suspension and brake system set up for the obvious. It's turned some pretty quick laps at Road Atlanta, seeing 130+ on the back straight. On a couple of occasions when the Tennessee chapters would host the Zone meet at Bristol, we were able to put 'er on the track there also. Kinda' fun pushing the "Pace car" around the track with open exhaust... what a rush. Good luck with your Challenger...keep us posted with your progress...it's fun having the "Biscayne" of Studebakers.

Dan Miller
                      Auburn, GA

Comment

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
                        Absolutely, Kurt! Our cars are like 2 peas in a pod. Check out my Webshots for the build so far: http://community.webshots.com/user/apenaut (Albums Daytona 1 -5).
                        Looked at your pictures"..........

Our cars are very similar. I saw in the door jamb it looks like your car was originally Algonquin green. Mine was too! Small world. Mine however started out life as. 6cyl commander. Yours looks like it is a Daytona. Mine is now an almost R1 with floor shifted flightomatic. Tons of fun even if it is an old patched up rust bucket!!
                        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I have one of them
                          Attached Files

Comment

00Racer - very nice!
                            Scott Rodgers
                            Los Angeles
                            SDC Member since 1989
                            \'60 Lark HT
                            \'63 Wagonaire
                            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Here's another one that was for sale on Ebay awhile back. Is this the one being looked at? If I remember correctly, this car had Mopar front suspension, but I don't remember if it had a SBC or not.
                              Attached Files
                              Scott Rodgers
                              Los Angeles
                              SDC Member since 1989
                              \'60 Lark HT
                              \'63 Wagonaire
                              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Working...
                              X