No announcement yet.

Studebaker mail buggy (for Bob Andrews)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker mail buggy (for Bob Andrews)

I'd get this for you Bob, but I don't know where they parked it! Look about halfway down the page. You can open it larger if you want. Sorry the link won't bring up just the picture.

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Coolness! Or in 1890 would they say "Rawther handsome"?

I couldn't figure out how to get the pcture to post either. Only small sections
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

From the Forney Museum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0052.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1671269Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0057.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1671270
      Carey
      Packard Hawk

Comment

I have a couple of questions:
        What is the fringe on the horse in Scotts picture for? Is there a purpose for it or is it purely ornate?

In Carey's pics:
        How do those buggys steer and where is the draft animals rigging and tack? They are obviously not motor driven, there is no drive shaft or connected axle shafts I can find so I assume it is a drawn carriage, but one has a window front, so where do the reins go? And there are no type of tack poles, not sure what they are called.

Most buggys I have seen have a round plate above the front spring set up that looks kind of like a 5th wheel hitch plate. I dont see any steering pivot at all on that one? Just curious, they are beautiful and so historic.

Comment

I can't bring up the first photograph. The link just doesn't work. The second set are a Cozy Cab buggy. Not necessarily a Mail buggy, even though it was used as such.

This kind of vehicle has a pair of connections on the front axle where the shafts or pole buckle into or bolt on. In the second set of pictures is a white horse statue in the background with the proper tack necessary for pulling a single vehicle. The vehicle in the second picture has a single reach Fifth-Wheel under the spring and on top of the axle. The turning radius of this kind of buggy was abysmal, however they had broad roads and plenty of space, so it wasn't an issue.

My guess by the description of the "fringe" would be that the horse is wearing a fly fringe. They're made a variety of ways, however most were simply a net of string that was strengthened with three of four strips of thin leather that ran the length of the net. I've used one extensively, they're very effective. The horse loves the freedom from flys and very much appreciated the fringe. There are also little hats that go over the horse's ears and over their forehead that keep the flys out of their ears and eyes. These hats are usually knit, though sometimes they're made of a type of nylon stocking-like material.

If anyone is really curious, I can post a picture later of the fifth-wheel that this vehicle would likely have.

Okay, I was able to finally bring up the first photo. Yes, that's a fly-fringe on the horse It too has similar gearing (though heavier) to the Cozy Cab.
          Last edited by studeclunker; 12-06-2011, 10:55 AM.
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
          X