Big oil leak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big oil leak!

I just returned from a 300 mile trip in my '51 Commander, and it used 3 qts' of oil!!!My first clue was at a Starbuck's lot on the way to my destination, and noticed a lot more than the usual drips on the ground. After the trip, the underside is all oily, and the rear bumper area is also oily. Everything up top looks normal, I suspect the rear main seal is gone, but I have never heard it going out like this. I will crawl under the car today for a look-see. I've probablly put 600 miles on this car in the last year, with the normal drips on the driveway.

Be sure to check the road draft tube for obstructions. If the tube is blocked pressure inside the engine will find some other outlet taking oil with it. Also make sure the line to the oil pressure gage is not leaking down the back of the engine.
    Of course, the problem could be the rear main seal, but you would hate to fix that and find out the real culprit was something simple.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
    since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I hate any leaks. Just replaced the rear main and fuel pump seals to stop leaks. Then the air draft tube driped all the time. I removed it and ran a 5/8 hose to the air cleaner just before carb. No leaks or drips in 2100 miles on my my 54 champ daily driver.[^][^][^]

Comment

A homebrew CCV system! Cool!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I agree with this (though I dont know for sure this model has one), it
          can dump the entire contents of the oil pan in a matter of seconds.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan
          Also make sure the line to the oil pressure gage is not leaking down the back of the engine.
          '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
          X