Evolution to Bal lJoint Front Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution to Bal lJoint Front Suspension

When did Studebaker evolve to a ball joint type front suspension? For all models at once? Thanks, Dan

NEVER, thank God!

Got those Parts Catalogs and Shop Manual yet?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As Rich said, never. If you want to include Avantis, they took until 1987.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

studerich, that really amazes me. i couldn't find it so I suspected I just overlooked it. Thanks for the reply, Dan.

Comment

Uh; if Studebaker (or Avanti but still using the Lark based frame) did go with balljoints, I can all but guarantee that said front ends would be retrofitted back to many a kingpin car------------knowing Studebaker, the control arm mounting points (and upper/lower bushings) would have remained the same.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The Stude car king pin suspension used from 51 up was strong, reliable, worked well, and could be set up to handle very well. No reason to change it!
            Jeff DeWitt
            http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

As I recall, ball joint suspension first appeared on the 1952 Lincoln., was touted as a contributing to the relatively decent handling of the big cars on the Carrera Panamericana with the much faster '53 and '54 Lincolns. The ball joint setup was applied to Fords and Mercurys for 1954, same year the flathead V8 was replaced by OHV engines in those "lesser" models. I seem to recall that Cadillac went to ball joints in around '57, but haven't taken the time to research it recently.

The '52-'54 Lincolns indeed had beautiful steering "feel"and balanced handling, but I doubt it had much to do with ball joints. The two '56 Lincolns I sold a couple of years ago were pretty cars but had hopelessly vague steering and wallowing road behavior. Our low-mileage '56 Packard Patrician handled far better with the "antiquated" king pin set up. I've been impressed at how contemporary the '63 Avanti feels.

One other "bonus" of early ball joints: the lower ball joints on my '54 Lincoln Capri are extremely close to the inner sidewall of the front tires, makes it difficult to fit modern tires, even 75 series.

Gil
              Gil Zimmerman
              Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
              1956 Golden Hawk
              1958 Packard Hawk
              1958 President
              1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Working...
              X