Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #85 (High speed test track)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the archives #85 (High speed test track)

Studebakers earliest test track and most noted test pilot c1909.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

The elevated track or boardwalk above some of the Plant buildings with J M Studebaker holding the steering tiller.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

'Looks like J. C. Agajanian (sp?) standing in the white jacket...but I doubt he was that old in 1909! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That took guts, driving a vehicle at speed (!) on a slippery wood track, ON THE ROOF!

Comment

I love these photographs. In that age, pictures were rarely casual and the poses called for serious demeanor. Hard scrabble people presiding over historic changes in technology and everyday living. Great to see the large flag proudly flying in the distance. How many stars did it display then?
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'll say it again: you can't copyright a photo that has been in the public domain. It's unenforceable.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              I'll say it again: you can't copyright a photo that has been in the public domain. It's unenforceable.
              Scott; Who cares. I do it simply because it aggravates some people. Apparently you are one of them.
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Guessing it is an "electric" how high speed could it be?

Comment

The guy with the umbrella looks like he's ready for a quick exit....
                  Matt
                  Brisbane
                  Australia
                  sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Mr. Quinn, what is the rod on the right rear wheel for? It runs from 12 o'clock to about 4 o'clock.

Comment

Originally posted by 9echo View Post
                      Mr. Quinn, what is the rod on the right rear wheel for? It runs from 12 o'clock to about 4 o'clock.
                      Actually that is not a rod. This print was made from a glass plate negative and the negative was cracked. It was clear through and a dark line of the crack went from upper left to left center. I cleaned up most of it in Photoshop but didn't get around to finishing it.
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                        Actually that is not a rod. This print was made from a glass plate negative and the negative was cracked. It was clear through and a dark line of the crack went from upper left to left center. I cleaned up most of it in Photoshop but didn't get around to finishing it.

Oh SURE! But you DID have time to tag it with "The Richard Quinn Collection"! See enclosed grin -><G> <- See it? After all, you expect us to believe a crack like that? I was contemplating it being a wheelie bar!
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Here it is without the imperfection. I might ask that you look carefully at the passenger on the left and then over his right shoulder and arm. That looks like maybe 10 people standing atop the building in the distance. My guess friends waiting for a ride.
                          Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 12-04-2011, 06:09 PM.
                          Richard Quinn

Comment

I read the comments before looking at the picture, and thought "the banking would have made it safer on the turns". Picture: no banking, its flat wood, on the roof and many stories high! Then again, its an electric, so how many Gs or fraction thereof would be possible? <g> As always, a great joy seeing extracts from your collection!

Comment

RQ: The building in the background is obviously the rear of the admin bldg, looking toward downtown South Bend from the plant boardwalk. The rear of the admin bldg is to the left in the photo, the front or entrance end is to the right. I doubt that what you are calling 'maybe 10people' are actually people. I suspect it is piping or something else on the admin bldg roof. Since the boardwalk did not go to the admin bldg roof, they could not be waiting for a ride. The area behind the guy standing in the white suit is were building number 48A would be built in 1922. The smokestack over his head is off the Studebaker property. The 'tank or tower' between their heads would also be off the Studebaker property, toward South Bend. I don't think is was the city water tower. I don't believe it was that close to the Studebaker property, as it appears in the photo. stupak

Comment

Working...
                              X