60 lark with leather.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 lark with leather.

A couple here in town have been running loads of rock from my place.I had my Champ in the driveway and the fella was looking it over,and went on to say his first car (a 60 Lark 2dr. hardtop,6cyl. without o.d.) had leather inside.told me it was a peice of junk (engine) and I told him that's because there was no o.d. to save the engine.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

I know their vinyl was U.S.Royal Naugahyde. Was leather even an option in 1960?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      Sure, if you scooped up enough dried out road kill hides off the highway. Wouldn't take too many laid end to end to cover the rips in the original covers.

The guy said the '60 Lark was his "first" car. Didn't say he bought it new. If it was like most of our "first" cars, it was probably someone else's used worn out discard before he got it.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

His Father got it for him (used) when he was still in highschool that would have been about 1965,66
        Originally posted by jclary View Post
        Sure, if you scooped up enough dried out road kill hides off the highway. Wouldn't take too many laid end to end to cover the rips in the original covers.

The guy said the '60 Lark was his "first" car. Didn't say he bought it new. If it was like most of our "first" cars, it was probably someone else's used worn out discard before he got it.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The leather was probably made from the hide of the now extinct Naga.
          Jeff DeWitt
          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Amazing with them being extinct home many hydes of the Nauga you can still find....
            Now if only I could find some Tazmanian Tiger boots, a DoDo belt, and Quagga jacket I would be stylin...lol

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              No, leather was not an option. Even the fleet models had a vinyl for their heavy duty option. The regular vinyl in 1960 Larks was so heavy, compared to some other vinyl interiors, that many erroneously thought that it was leather.

That flathead six was probably worn out before he got the car and he just finished it off.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My guess is that the earlier assumptions are correct that the vinyl Regal interior of the 60 Hardtop was mistaken for leather - but one can not rule out leather as I have seen a 60 Lark Station Wagon with leather that had been purchased new by the Herwitch family of South Bend. They indicated that it was not unusual for locals to get special options if you knew who to contact at Studebaker.

Comment

Indeed, Studebaker were desperate for every sale and would make what the customer wanted.
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Give any car with marginal components to a high school kid and it will break. I gave my Dad's Chryslers quite a workout in my high school days. The only thing that ever broke though was a motor mount. I wonder how that happened?
                    Bish
                    sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                    1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                    1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                    1963 8E28 GSA order
                    1963 8E5 SOLD!
                    1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Oh sure Bob,"Robert when your parents found out what you did to the car" and now you teach the kids that'll do what we did back in the day <GGG> funny how it all comes around again is'nt it ?
                      Originally posted by Bish View Post
                      Give any car with marginal components to a high school kid and it will break. I gave my Dad's Chryslers quite a workout in my high school days. The only thing that ever broke though was a motor mount. I wonder how that happened?
                      Bish
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                      X