Eye Candy 12/1/11: Late-model Avanti convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Candy 12/1/11: Late-model Avanti convertible

Chillicothe 2010 again...this is one of the very late, Mustang-based cars.

S.

Ther is an ad in the latest Hemmings for a 2002 car with a "Corvette engine".
    Huh? I know they're Firebird-based...did the Firebird have a detuned Corvette engine (clearly, I'm no GM expert)?
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The Firebird and Corvette in 2002 both use the LS1 engine. The basic differences are exhaust and the throttle bodies are different...the Firebird's throttle body is cable controlled and the Corvette's is electronically operated. There's some minor EFI plumbing differences but they're essentially the same. The Corvette LS1 is rated slightly higher but that's normal...GM doesn't want any car with a higher horsepower rating than the Vette.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I thought all of the late madel Avanti's were built on the GM camaro/firebird chassis, I had no idea they also made them on a Mustang chassis....I will pass on that.

Comment

After GM dropped the F-body after the 2002 model year, Avanti Motors ran out of them after 2004 and switched to the Mustang platform in '05.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I believe that the pictured car is the only factory built six cylinder Avanti.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
              Ther is an ad in the latest Hemmings for a 2002 car with a "Corvette engine".
              Huh? I know they're Firebird-based...did the Firebird have a detuned Corvette engine (clearly, I'm no GM expert)?
              I no longer receive Hemmings. I would appreciate more information on the Avanti for sale. Things like; coupe/convertible, miles, price, location, contact. You may either contact me via e-mai, IM or just post it here. I am assuming that this is in the publication and there is no link.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I no longer receive Hemmings. I would appreciate more information on the Avanti for sale. Things like; coupe/convertible, miles, price, location, contact. You may either contact me via e-mai, IM or just post it here. I am assuming that this is in the publication and there is no link.

PM being sent.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                X