Electric fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fan

Has anyone mounted an electric fan in a '56 Hawk? Where and what brand of unit did you get? Does the wiring harness come with it?
    Went to a little show last night and temp was fine until I got off the highway and in city traffic. Stopped to get gas and temp went up to about 210. Then was in slow traffic for about 15 mins. Temp stayed up until I parked. Was fine on way home. It was was a little warm yesterday-104deg.[}]

John Ratliff

You might look at some of the pusher fans, and mount one in front of
    the radiator, with a sensor to turn it on at a given temp.

That said .. does your Hawk have a visous fan? Sounds like its not
    turning like it should anymore. If it was running cooler until you
    came to slower speeds, you could be relying on forward motion only.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

The fans usually come with just a pigtail on them to plug into for your temp control thermostat, that has to be purchased separately and then you usually also have to purchase the wiring kit with relay.
      Most speed shops have all of it. I bought most of my stuff from Speedway motors but out west you could check with SOCAL or any others.

Frank van Doorn
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Conv
      1941 Champion R-2 Rod
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

watch your fan cfm and get one that flows alot of air. my lark has a 2900 cfm pusher fan from perma cool works well. i also wired it into a thermastat switch the relay is on ignition power so the fan doesnt run when i shut the car off because i dont like that.

Erin Hays
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Lark
        1963 Wagonaire

Comment

While I haven't stuffed on in...
          I always thought the Hawk was a natural for a big puller fan...
          Stuffed inside the shroud.
          Wire it up with a relay....
          Big cfm...(curved blades a must)
          No one would see it at all...
          Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
          Brooklet, Georgia
          '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
          '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
          '61 Hawk (project)
          http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This has always made me wonder....Other than the exposure of a little more radiator, why would a puller fan be more suitable? I would have thought the heat would deteriorate the fan motor after a short while.

Bob Johnstone
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
            X