Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upper inner Pin seal interchange 1950-51-52-?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Upper inner Pin seal interchange 1950-51-52-?

Are 1951 and 1952 upper inner seals interchangeable to the 1950 Commander pins?

I see that, in my 1950 chassis book that the seals are the same for the 1950 Commander and Champion...the only difference is the one bushing, due to the Commander utilizing the Houldaile lever vs. the Champion tube shock.

I was hoping they continued the upper inner pin through 51-52...that would mean the seals would remain the same...

I appreciate any assistance.

Scotty

A slice of 3/4" heater hose works well.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Great advice...how thick? My originals are literally destroyed...

Comment

You can always cut them shorter! start with about a 5/8" piece, as the hose will compress.

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Long term, will the heater hose hold up to the grease? I know that oil tends to make radiator hoses soft............for example, a leaking front seal on a Studebaker V8 seems to really degrade the lower radiator hose quickly.
          Last edited by r1lark; 11-26-2011, 07:04 AM. Reason: ......a little clearer wording<G>
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            Long term, will the heater hose hold up to the grease? I know that oil tends to make radiator hoses soft............for example, a leaking front seal on a Studebaker V8 seems to really degrade the lower radiator hose quickly.
            Perhaps a piece of hydraulic hose with the appropriate inner diameter? I would say that should hold up...

Comment

A big fat "O" ring works well, too. These are basically dust seals. There is no way they can keep grease in. They are there to keep dust and grit out of the greased bearing.

What else would work: go to a dive shop, and get some scraps of Neoprene wet suit material, and use small sharp scissors to cut suitably-sized rings from it. Neoprene is very oil resistant. I have used that stuff as gasket material in other applications.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

They make silicone heater hoses, but only a small length is needed. Police cars use them.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                X