Old Cars for 6/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Cars for 6/14

In the Flag Day issue of Old Cars Weekly, besides the article including Ted Harbit that I previously posted, the following quote is from one of the Tulsarama articles on the 1957 Plymouth.

"This is because some autos have timeless beauty. Maybe it was not realized when they were in show rooms (sic), but history proves this so. Examples include the coffin-nose Cord and 1953 Studebaker Starliner. It has been said that the latter is the best industrial design of the 20th century."

Old Cars Weekly has been giving good coverage to Studebaker and they are very receptive to my corrections, suggestions and inputs.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I always loved OKW, but gave it up b/c I was trying to cut down on my reading material, and make better use of my time... but I may have to re-up....

BTW- "latter" is spelled correctly- "show room" can go either way!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I always loved OKW, but gave it up b/c I was trying to cut down on my reading material, and make better use of my time... but I may have to re-up....

BTW- "latter" is spelled correctly- "show room" can go either way!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I believe that later can be spelled either way in the general meaning/context of the word but not in this aplication where it should be latter and I believe that the same applies to showroom. I will see you later or latter, but of two choices, I will pick the latter (different pronunciation in the two cases). I will show you a room or the show is in the room, but I will sell you a car in the showroom. English grammar is not my strong suit and many of these things have changed with common usage in the years since I learned the rules, so I could be wrong in today's World. The net is that I now belive that they were correct with latter.

I have been receiving Old Cars since the beginning, around 1971 IIRC. I also have all of the issues. At last count, I was receiving 27 publications on a regular basis. I have been letting some subscriptions lapse, like all Hemmings publications and recently Motor Trend, that I have since near the beginning, 1949 IIRC.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I believe that later can be spelled either way in the general meaning/context of the word but not in this aplication where it should be latter and I believe that the same applies to showroom. I will see you later or latter, but of two choices, I will pick the latter (different pronunciation in the two cases). I will show you a room or the show is in the room, but I will sell you a car in the showroom. English grammar is not my strong suit and many of these things have changed with common usage in the years since I learned the rules, so I could be wrong in today's World. The net is that I now belive that they were correct with latter.

I have been receiving Old Cars since the beginning, around 1971 IIRC. I also have all of the issues. At last count, I was receiving 27 publications on a regular basis. I have been letting some subscriptions lapse, like all Hemmings publications and recently Motor Trend, that I have since near the beginning, 1949 IIRC.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

"Later" and "Latter" are two different words, with two completely different meanings.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

"Later" and "Latter" are two different words, with two completely different meanings.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I think latter is correct when you are referring to the latter of two items listed in a sentence. Defined: "Being the second of two persons or things mentioned: i.e. Between captain and major, the latter is the higher rank.

JDP/Maryland

64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                63 GT R2
                63 Lark 2 door
                62 Lark 2 door
                60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                59 3E truck
                58 Starlight
                52 & 53 Starliner
                51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I think latter is correct when you are referring to the latter of two items listed in a sentence. Defined: "Being the second of two persons or things mentioned: i.e. Between captain and major, the latter is the higher rank.

JDP/Maryland

64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                  63 GT R2
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                  59 3E truck
                  58 Starlight
                  52 & 53 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I guess that you are correct Bob/BAMS. According to my 1953 dictionary, later or latter are adverbs and later is an adjective. English was always one of my weakest subjects. I am glad that I never had to make a living based on my grammar rules.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I guess that you are correct Bob/BAMS. According to my 1953 dictionary, later or latter are adverbs and later is an adjective. English was always one of my weakest subjects. I am glad that I never had to make a living based on my grammar rules.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote: I believe that later can be spelled either way in the general meaning/context of the word but not in this aplication where it should be latter and I believe that the same applies to showroom. I will see you later or latter, but of two choices, I will pick the latter (different pronunciation in the two cases). I will show you a room or the show is in the room, but I will sell you a car in the showroom. English grammar is not my strong suit and many of these things have changed with common usage in the years since I learned the rules, so I could be wrong in today's World. The net is that I now belive that they were correct with latter.
                        One of my pet peeves is people who correct other people's grammar and spelling. So now I will do it. In this case, we have a misspelling of application, as well as an incorrect capitol "W" in world, and a common misspelling of "believe" in a post intended to correct someone else's English usage! Gary, you are coming off as pretentious. Get back to Studebakers!

Comment

quote: I believe that later can be spelled either way in the general meaning/context of the word but not in this aplication where it should be latter and I believe that the same applies to showroom. I will see you later or latter, but of two choices, I will pick the latter (different pronunciation in the two cases). I will show you a room or the show is in the room, but I will sell you a car in the showroom. English grammar is not my strong suit and many of these things have changed with common usage in the years since I learned the rules, so I could be wrong in today's World. The net is that I now belive that they were correct with latter.
                          One of my pet peeves is people who correct other people's grammar and spelling. So now I will do it. In this case, we have a misspelling of application, as well as an incorrect capitol "W" in world, and a common misspelling of "believe" in a post intended to correct someone else's English usage! Gary, you are coming off as pretentious. Get back to Studebakers!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

Gary, you are coming off as pretentious. Get back to Studebakers!
                            In fairness, it was I that did the initial correcting. It was merely intended to share a strength I happen to have (temporarily hiding my many weaknesses![:I]). I wasn't intending to be pretentious; probably wasn't a good idea to respond- especially since it's going so far OT...

Gary- I apologize if I offended you.

Now I shall obey your command (directed at Gary) to get back to Studebakers, boss! Can't guarantee I won't stray again, though...[8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

Gary, you are coming off as pretentious. Get back to Studebakers!
                              In fairness, it was I that did the initial correcting. It was merely intended to share a strength I happen to have (temporarily hiding my many weaknesses![:I]). I wasn't intending to be pretentious; probably wasn't a good idea to respond- especially since it's going so far OT...

Gary- I apologize if I offended you.

Now I shall obey your command (directed at Gary) to get back to Studebakers, boss! Can't guarantee I won't stray again, though...[8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X