'58 Scotty makes the cover of a period techie magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '58 Scotty makes the cover of a period techie magazine

Ran across this old (June '58) issue of Science and Mechanics magazine in an antique market. The Scotsman article inside is pretty decent, actually, and there's also a piece comparing the six- and eight-cylinder '58 Chevs.

S.
    Last edited by Steve T; 11-23-2011, 05:38 PM.

COOL BEANS, to quote a fellow member...
    Do we have many magazines now days that are so general like that? A mag that covers everything from Pool cleaners to Aquaplane boards to Outboard motors to L6/V8 comparisons?

Side Bar: I am an aquatic enthusiast and have tried almost all kinds of vintage and modern water toys and I have ridden an Aquaplane very similar to that one on the cover. My favorite was a Ski Seat. It was a pair of water skis that were connected by this mechanical linkage and then had a seat on that and toe cups on the skis. You had to lay back on it and sink the rear to get the nose up to get it to pull out of the water, then you steered it with the seat of your butt, it was crazy riding it and then we started getting crazy and trying to jump it, man that hurt. When you hit the wake fairly fast, the sled would drop away since the only thing connecting you to it is your toes and a ski handle tied to the front, so the tail and seat dropped away from you, then when it hit back down your butt would slam down on the seat...ouch, yet at 28 years old we kept doing it cause it was funny and a challenge and we were competitive. That was in the early 90s and that Ski Seat was already like 25 or 30 years old...very vintage, I have never seen another one.
    Sorry for any sidetrack here.

Comment

Working...
    X