No announcement yet.

Avanti body on rotisserie, any photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti body on rotisserie, any photos?

Thinking about putting an Avanti body on a rotisserie. Anyone have some photos on how they accomplished this. A picture is worth a thousand words. Not interested in using a hoop, just rotisserie.
    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

I'm not so sure a rotisserie would be advisable for the fiberglass body of an Avanti. It's a one piece body with little structural strength once removed from the frame. The inherent flexing could well induce cracks in the fiberglass and paint.

The shop that did my Avanti used a lift that supported the body from underneath when working on it, then they built a large wheeled dolly to move it around as needed...in and out of the paint booth for priming. While different body shops have differing philosophies on painting, the shop manager where I had the car done had final sanding and painting done after the car was mated back to the chassis. He felt that painting the body off the car would create imperfections if not cracks in the paint once bolted back to the frame.

These pics aren't the greatest but it shows the car body on the lift.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Gene

Bruce's comments sound reasonable.

But if you don't get more comments on this topic lookup bezhawk (member name ) and PM him. He restores Avantis so he should have a decent handle on how to do it if it's been done.

Bob

Comment

Contact member 'tluz'. I think he did, but I'm not sure. I know he did a body-off. Here's some of his threads:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I made a roll around frame that supports the body with removable supports. One can either support it by the "hog troughs" or by the inner wheel housing (with a crossmember accross the gas tank strap reinforcements) . In the front I can support it by the front cowl body mounts, or the front of the hog troughs. By having different possibilities of support, I can leave the hog troughs open and easily replaceable.
          I haven't seen the need to turn one over for any repairs. Make the cart high enough, or use a lift to enable paint and/or undercoating.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
          X