Decision Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision Time

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, trying to decide what to do with my '51 Champion four-door. It's a good car, but really needs more done to it that I was originally told, and right now, finding out what's causing the '61 Lark Cruiser to run rough at low speeds and fix that problem is pretty much taking up all my spare cash(I'm sure many of y'all know that feeling). I also am in need of a pick-up truck-what Southerner isn't-and I've been considering either selling the Champion or trading it for a Stude pickup of some sort. The '51 is in very good mechanical shape, with a rebuilt engine and transmission and new brakes. The seat covers and headliner are brand new and the rest of the interior is in good shape, except that the firewall pad needs to be replaced. It still has the original 6-volt electrical system, though, and has some lights that have to be wired up. The guy I bought it from lost the original ignition key and replaced the switch with one that does not fit the hole in the dash, and I shorted out the switch trying to start it, but the original switch is in the trunk-just needs to have a new key made. The guy also didn't put the door panels(inside)back on properly and the windows do not roll up and down as they should, but all the stuff is there. It's got a semi-decent paint job-just an ugly color in my opinion, though there are some noticeable chips and the paint job inside the car was discontinued while half-way through, for some reason, leaving part of the interior metal the original black and part the newer off-white. The chrome, especially both bumpers, needs to be re-plated, and that is the worst part of the car. I would also consider replacing all the exterior weather stripping around the glass, and the passenger window in the front is cracked(kid with BB gun). I found one hole in the front floor pan, but I am not sure if it's a rust-through or not, since it's perfectly round, and I can't find any rust anywhere else on this car, but the hole does go all the way through, as in you can look down and see the ground through it. The AM radio is with the car but does not work. Everything else, the heat, wipers, etc., does work. Before I shorted out the rigged ignition switch, the car was running very strongly and was not smoking at all, or leaking any oil. The main thing to really have it driveable is to re-wire the rear brake and signal lights and hook up the emergency brake and fix the interior door panels(stuff for the door handles is in the trunk), but eventually that chrome will have to be seen about, as will the weather seals on all the windows and windshields, and while I can live with the ugly paint, it would at least have to be touched up and finished. I just do not have the money to do all that now, as I said, and I don't want to just leave it sitting. What would y'all do in my position-sell it, keep it in hopes of one day having the cash to really fix it up, or trade it? What are the chances of being able to find a reliable truck(not looking for a show truck)in exhange?

pitbulllady

Post a few pictures of the 51, and indicate an asking price - OBO or trade for running pickup. You'll find out pretty quick if there is interest here.

Good luck with it.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
    53 Starliner Hardtop
    Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Post a few pictures of the 51, and indicate an asking price - OBO or trade for running pickup. You'll find out pretty quick if there is interest here.

Good luck with it.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
      53 Starliner Hardtop
      Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Put it on eBay with a complete description. It sounds to me like this car is beyond your capabilities. You can always get another car in the future.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Put it on eBay with a complete description. It sounds to me like this car is beyond your capabilities. You can always get another car in the future.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X