Front Clip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Clip?

It looks to me like the only thing holding the front clip up is the front Radiator Core Support. Is that correct?

I need to pull the RCS to get the V8 out of Oscar, so I dont want the fenders and Inner fenders hanging out in space without support, so I thought I would ask if there is some other contact points that support them or is it just the bolts back near the door?

When I repaired the front end of my 49 after the wreck I set blocks under the front fenders and removed the radiator support. as you pull the engine just add some shims as it raises up.

Comment

Kelly, your assessment is correct. There's only ONE support point for the front sheet metal. The cab has four mount points - two kaddy-corner that flex. This and that single (spring-loaded no less) mount point out front allows the frame to twist without ripping the front clip apart.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Think about this. Why not go ahead and remove the front clip? It is not all that complicated, just a few more nuts and bolts. What this allows you to do, is check and inspect for hidden rust that needs to be repaired. Especially at the lower quadrant of the A pillars. It will give you an opportunity to inspect and replace any bolts that might be rusted as well. With the front removed, you have great access to not only the engine, but frame and suspension too. Even if you don't intend to give it a show quality paint job and intend to keep its well-earned "patina" look...you will be able to remove the rust and paint the back side of the grille, fenders, etc. so that it will not rust from the inside out.

It will give you a better knowledge of your vehicle and how everything was so neatly engineered when it was built. The peace of mind from knowing that all those areas have been attended to is priceless.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John C,
          I want the fenders and skirts in place to run all of my new wiring and brake plumbing. I still have the hard lines to run and a new wire harness to run.

After the help confirming the attachments I think I have a plan. I think I can slip a piece of thick plate steel under the inner fender skirt up near the core support and use a C-clamp to clamp the plate to the frame and have it cantilever out to support the fenders. It does not even need to be very big.

Comment

Are you going to leave the grill in it? If so you can put a shim under the grill, between it and the splash pan or frame rails

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
            John C,
            I want the fenders and skirts in place to run all of my new wiring and brake plumbing. I still have the hard lines to run and a new wire harness to run.

After the help confirming the attachments I think I have a plan. I think I can slip a piece of thick plate steel under the inner fender skirt up near the core support and use a C-clamp to clamp the plate to the frame and have it cantilever out to support the fenders. It does not even need to be very big.
            TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

LOL! What sort of delicate stuff do you think those fenders are made of??? You're not gonna distort or misalign them simply by removing that RCS. Heh - I'd look at them as a realignment aid when you're putting everything else back together.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                LOL! What sort of delicate stuff do you think those fenders are made of??? You're not gonna distort or misalign them simply by removing that RCS. Heh - I'd look at them as a realignment aid when you're putting everything else back together.
                What Bob said. Let 'em hang by the bolts holding them to the cab. They aren't gonna go anywhere. Been there, done that.

Comment

TDITS: I have to remove the RCS to get the v8 out and the new one in, so a shim under the grill will not work.

Roscomacaw: HAHAHA, I can always count on you to bring me back to reality on what Oscar is really capable of...

Matt: Once Bob tells me something, I pretty much go with that, I trust his opinion implicitly. And when other sharp folks, like yourself, concure then I know what direction to go.

Soon as it warms up a bit, im out back pullin the grill, RCS, bumper, and fill panel out.

Comment

I'm dyin' to hear if that 232 has any life in it.

Comment

What Bob and Matthew said. Everything went back together without a problem.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3039.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1671073
                      Rick
                      Kingman, AZ

Comment

Thanks squatch, and as I have told you before, Leroy is beautiful. What a perfect old truck name too.

In your pic, there is a spot where the inner fender panel almost lays on the frame near the front of the fender, I was just thinking of slipping a plate under that and C-clamping it down to the frame. But I am much less worried about it now.

Comment

Working...
                        X