Another Stude Drag car....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Stude Drag car....

You drag fans probably know this car well. I just stumbled across it and thought it looked a beautifully styled vehicle adapted to drags without loss of it's class.

Quite a race car. Good thing he doesn't have to worry about seeing for right hand turns.
    Also, I love that Henry J.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yeah, that Henry J caught my eye too!

Comment

Wow, that's very nice. But, it's not a drag car. It's a Bonneville or Dry Lakes land speed record car. May seem a slight distinction to some, but it is a big difference in design. Drag cars attempt to accelerate as fast as possible over short course. Their success is measured by the amount of time it takes them to cover a short distance. Land Speed record cars attempt to achieve the highest speed possible over a longer course, up to 5 miles and their success is measured by the highest speed they are able to achieve. The coveted mark is 200 mph or better.

Pat
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Can't beat a '53 as far as aerodynamics at Bonneville! I have to wonder though, how much of that cars body is still steel, or has alot of it been replaced by fiberglass?
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Hoolie's (sp) Bonneville land speed car has been written about for several years over on Sonny's Raccing Studebaker's site..

Fun read, for sure!
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

For what it's worth, the Henry J is For Sale and Hooley's daily driver is a 53 Commander Coupe.
              Last edited by Baker54; 11-18-2011, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X