Accurate registration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accurate registration?

So a while back I had a thread about what year my truck really is and what year I should register it as.
    The add I bought the truck from said it was a '52, my motor is from a '52, and there is a 52 in both the serial number, AND the cab number. So I think everyone assumed it was a '52.

Fortunately from the cool people here {most noteably jclary and Skip Lacky in this case} it was discovered that he is a 1949 based on the serial number which is R10 8352

Where can I find a list of what serial number series were for what years?

If I can show any documentation that the serial number is from a 1949 my registration guy says he will refill out the paperwork and file it as a '49. I know on the SI website you can ID your motor from a list sheet they have there, but WHERE can I find any list of serial numbers by years?

Please help asap so I can finish this process, I want a title in hand before I get too far into this truck. We had that "been there, done that" conversation before.

Thanks Folks once again
    Kelly
    Last edited by kmac530; 11-15-2011, 01:53 PM.

In the front of the Studebaker Parts Catalog, that you are ordering?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ordering, I got a manual and parts catalog from a cool guy in Wa. named Rich...

Is there a list of serial numbers in that?
      I will go check, that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
        Ordering, I got a manual and parts catalog from a cool guy in Wa. named Rich...
        Is there a list of serial numbers in that? I will go check, that would be great.
        There ought to be a list of starting (or stopping?) numbers in the front somewhere-
        but I'm not too up on those truck books just yet...

StudeDave '57
        Rich's other son
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Here is the list that Skip Lackie derived from the service letters. It does say your truck is a 1949. So, maybe Skip or someone else has a scan of the original service letters with this info.

Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

The starting serial numbers for the individual model years within the 2R series are not in the parts book. Model-year break points WERE listed in at least two places: in the back of some years of truck data books, and annual letters sent by the company to state/provincial DMVs and Studebaker dealers.

KMAC: If you want copies of the above docs identifying your truck as a 49 model, send your mailing address to me at:
            lackie at erols dot com
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
              The starting serial numbers for the individual model years within the 2R series are not in the parts book.
              As I said before- I don't know those truck books too well. I wonder why they wouldn't include that info in them- the car books have it- and cars are easier to tell the different years apart then trucks are most times!!!

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

It's only WITHIN the multi-year 2R and 3Eseries that the model year demarcation points are not specified. They did include them when the model/series changed, like from 2R to 3R. As far as I know, Stude never carried a CAR model/series over multiple years, at least since the 1930s -- so every model year was a new series.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  In the front of the Studebaker Parts Catalog, that you are ordering?
                  I finally had a chance to get into the catalog. The info I need is not there. It has it broken down into models. As in 1949-53 2R10 serial number R10-001

It does not give a break down of R10-001 thru 9999 is '49 and R10-10000 + is 1950.....
                  The best info I have thus far is Gary Ash's posting of Skip Lackie's list. I will see if that is enough and Skip is mailing me a hard copy of that next week. I hope this will be enough. Any other documentation any one has is still appreciated.

MAJOR thanks to all of you guys/gals.

Comment

Kelly, I sent that pdf on 11-3. If you didn't get it that may be your security settings sent it straight to spam. Look for it there and let me know if I need to resend.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain,
                      I did get those, I just missed seeing that there was attachments.
                      This place is truely amazing.
                      Dwain pdf sent me ORIGINAL documents from Studebaker on what serial number sequences were to be designated as 1949 and which ones are for 1950.
                      Unbelievable to me that not only doe these forms and letters exist, but that they are still accessable is amazing, THEN the fact that you folks are happy to share them with a new guy like me....super cool.

I think those forms will do the trick.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN
                      kelly

Comment

From the 1954 Truck Data Book:

Craig

Comment

Between the link that Gary Ash posted from Skip Lackie's info and the PDF download that DwainG sent me I went to my registration guy and he was fine with re-filing it as a 1949. Turned it all in to him today, he said come pick up my title and plates on Monday....wooo hooo

Thanks again guys

Comment

Working...
                          X