Scriptures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scriptures

Nothing biblical here. Just some of the scripts I dug up in looking to see which wagon monikers I had. T'would be interesting to know who designed these cursive scripts that were used from '56 to '64 in some applications - trucks in the very end.

I lack Pinehurst and Broadmoor and Power to have one of each that use this font. Of course, if I let Rich con me outta the Parkview pieces, I'll be missing an example of those too. Rich did reveal something to me that I hadn't known or noticed before - note the tail end of the two Parkview scripts. There was fair reason (from a manufacturing standpoint) for the tiny difference.Click image for larger version

Name:	namescripts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1734370Click image for larger version

Name:	wagonnames.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1734371
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

HAHAHA....I was crazy curious why a devout Athiest was posting scriptures....

Now as to the scrip differences, I see the difference and am curious why they made that tiny difference. Could it have something to do with which side of the car they were on needing a differnt fit? Not likely, just my dumb guess.

Comment

From '56 to '57 there different names used on some wagon variants. For '57, two new name were Provincial and Broadmoor - both longer names than the '56 models. Studebaker used the same dies to punch the holes for these script mounting pins to perforate all front fenders. Even tho the names were different, the pins that held them in place were arranged the same. The '56 wagons had their model name scripts on the face of the lower tailgate. The three names for '56 being Pelham, Parkview and Pinehurst, and any of the three would interchange on a replacement tailgate. For '57 - to accomodate and securely affix the longer named scripts (now mounted to each front fender, instead of the tailgate) - Broadmoor & Provincial - the Parkview script had its little tail end lowered so it's endmost mounting pin could match the pin placement of the two newer and longer names. This way, the same dies could be used on ALL '57 fenders so they'd be universal to any model wagon. Also, the names President, Commander, Champion AND Studebaker (of this font) will fit that same set of mounting pin holes.

EDIT: I've always thought it curious that with THREE new wagon names for 56 - as well as FOUR new Hawk models - WHY were there no differentiations for the sedans??? At LEAST add "Classic" to the long wheelbased President 4dr.
      Last edited by Roscomacaw; 11-14-2011, 02:51 PM. Reason: afterthoughts
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
        I've always thought it curious that with THREE new wagon names for 56 - as well as FOUR new Hawk models - WHY were there no differentiations for the sedans??? At LEAST add "Classic" to the long wheelbased President 4dr.
        Conjecture to answer that, Bob. The station wagon market was a disproportionately-important market in the 1950s for obvious reasons: Folks with young families were on the move and the 1950s station wagon was the mode de jour.

Hence, it was important for manufacturers to further identify their wagons with more decorative names than "Champion Station Wagon." I mean, who wants a Champion "station wagon" when you can have a Ford Ranch Wagon or a Chevrolet Handyman (or Handiman in some quarters)? Chevrolet sure didn't call the 1957 Nomad a "Bel-Air 2-door sport wagon" by any means.

Studebaker needed to emphasize how much different was the 1957 wagon line from 1956, and it certainly was. Obviously, it would be a faux pas to do all that work making the 1957 wagons different from the '56s and then turn right around and give them the same names. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
          /Cut/I've always thought it curious that with THREE new wagon names for 56 - as well as FOUR new Hawk models - WHY were there no differentiations for the sedans??? At LEAST add "Classic" to the long wheelbased President 4dr.
          Well Bob they really did not need MORE designation, the Sedans already had the Champion, Commander and President names.

Did you notice that your "Pelham" Nameplate is a '56 also, I have one with a really Loooong tail that is for a '57 Pelham.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK, I see your points, Bob and Rich. I still think they could've added "Classic" to the President name to set it apart from the "VP" version. Something more than a few hash marks anyway.

One of my favorite Brand X name scripts came off a 50s DeSoto - the "SHOPPER" And let's not forget Chevy's workhorse - the YEOMAN

Comment

Lest we forget the GMC "Gentleman Jim" in the early '80s, what was that about?

Comment

Lest we forget the GMC "Gentleman Jim" in the early '80s, what was that about?

No gentleman would refer to himself as "Jimmy" (GMC nickname, applied to their version of the Blazer). Besides, at that point in time (early 1908s), people remembered Jimmy Carter's administration all too well.
                Last edited by Lothar; 11-14-2011, 09:37 PM. Reason: Add quote and deploliticize.
                John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

Jimmy is what many call the abbreviation for the whole line of GMC...like chevy or jimmy instead of Chevrolet or GMC. I get why they call it the GJ, but it was lame to me. Gentleman Jim.
                  Alot of bad names in cars and trucks. What is with Toyota and city names? Tacoma, Sequoia, Tundra, Avalon...
                  Chrysler...Ram Charger

Tons of bad names.

Comment

Working...
                  X