Chalk marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chalk marks

While cleaning up under the hood of the very original 63 Lark I recently purchased, I came across these chalk marks. One is "S74", the other is the number "90". They are down low on the passenger side front fender. Any guesses what they mean?

Click image for larger version

Name:	chalk 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1734368Click image for larger version

Name:	chalk 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1734369
    Steve
    Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

They were used on the production line to keep track of what accessories, etc got installed on each vehicle. They were usually the last couple of digits of the line number, the serial number, or some other ID number on the production order.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

My '51 Land Cruiser has similar marks on the original paint on the firewall. I don't think chalk was used, but rather, paint sticks as we used to call them when I was selling industrial supplies.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

They look like a grease pencil mark, or like the lumber crayons that carpenters use to mark studs. But could also be a paint pen mark like what plumber/pipefitter use on steel pipe.

Comment

My Dad was an experimental flight test and production mechanic at The Boeing Company in Seattle for almost 40 years. All the mechanics wrote all over the airplane structure and used a grease pencil. The writing it makes looks very similar to your pictures. Here is what they are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_pencil
          John
          1963 Avanti R2
          Marshall, VA

Comment

Originally posted by coyote View Post
            While cleaning up under the hood of the very original 63 Lark I recently purchased, I came across these chalk marks. One is "S74", the other is the number "90". They are down low on the passenger side front fender. Any guesses what they mean?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12188[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12189[/ATTACH]
            Steve: That's not S74, it would be SF4; the body's model number. (I am assuming yours is a 1963 Lark Regal 2-door sedan; correct?)

I don't know when our culture started putting that stupid slash across the leg of the numeral 7, but, somehow, we managed to get pretty doggone close to Y2K functioning just fine with 7s being 7s and script Fs being script Fs, as in your second picture.

I don't believe the numeral 7 was being so bastardized in late 1962 or 1963, however, when you car's body was manufactured. (Not that I have a strong opinion on the matter, you understand...<GGG>)

However, I do not have any idea what the 90 means. BP
            Last edited by BobPalma; 11-14-2011, 10:56 AM.
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob - I think you nailed it. It is a Lark Regal 2 door sedan. It never dawned on me that the second character could be an "f" and not a "7". You see that slash across the number 7 so much these days.
              Steve
              Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Comment

Originally posted by coyote View Post
                Bob - I think you nailed it. It is a Lark Regal 2 door sedan. It never dawned on me that the second character could be an "f" and not a "7". You see that slash across the number 7 so much these days.
                Unfortunately, I might add! <GGG> BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The reason for the slash across the numeral 7 is to clearly distinguish it from a numeral 1 that might have the top serif exagerated (the little angled bit on the top of the verital line). It is also done to the letter Z to distinguish it from a numeral 2.

This was originally a european practice that has made its way to Canada (where we also throw a letter U into words like colour and honour) and now it sounds like to the USA.
                  \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                  Jim Mann
                  Victoria, B.C.
                  Canada

Comment

Well....I think the extra slash is harmful to the environment! Just think of all the extra little "Ink Plants" have to die for that stupid slash across the number 7! Don't be lazy...write your 7's correctly and you won't need a stupid slash! Save the planet!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have seen the slash on 7 and on Z for most of my life. I believe it is of Germanic history, but I am as reliable as WIKI....

Comment

Another explanation for numeric slashes:

Ain't sayin' it's so. <G>
                        sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

Sometimes, those markings spell out what the car is supposed to have for options:

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                            Another explanation for numeric slashes:

Ain't sayin' it's so. <G>
                            That is so interesting. I love learning about the origins of the things we take for granted!

Thanks, Dave.

Jim
                            \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                            Jim Mann
                            Victoria, B.C.
                            Canada

Comment

Working...
                            X