Good Studebaker day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Studebaker day

I had a friend bring me a 259 out of his 53 coupe to asses the condition of the engine. I put it on the test stand and cranked it up. It ran poorly at first but after freeing up a couple of valves, it ran pretty good.

Really good compression, no smoke , no knocks and no strange noises. I called my friend, some guy that likes Alabama and we decided to replace the valve seals, and reseal the engine. I also suggested an aluminum timing gear and to upgrade the front cover. Well, since I had all of the stuff off of the engine for cleaning, powder coating and painting, I figured that I would pull the heads off to do the valve seals. Might as well do a valve job while we are here. I could tell that the engine has had some recent work. The valve guides were the tightest I have run across on a Stude engine.

I enlisted Joe Roberts to come help with some of the prep work today and we had a good time getting things ready. Engine work would be a lot more fun if you didn't have to clean everything. I took the engine outside to clean the water jackets, which weren't too bad. I've done worse.

We got things pretty well cleaned and ready for assembly.

After we got things cleaned up and put away for the day, we decided to change the transmission in my Lark. I had issues with the overdrive and we found out the the damage was due to lack of fluid that left the transmission by way of the rear. About 30 minutes later, we had the original tranny back in the car so I could still drive it while I repair the OD tranny.

Thanks to Joe for his help and moral support. Not too many cuts and bruises and a good Studebaker day.
    Last edited by starliner62; 11-19-2011, 09:38 PM.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Jaime,
    Tell us 'how' you line up the valve guides on your Bridgeport when you mill the valve guides.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Good deal Jamie! That's more Studebaker work in a day then I've been able to accomplish in 6 months

Is that engine out of Jack's '53?
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

Is that engine out of Jack's '53?
        When he said that the car owner is "some guy that likes Alabama", could it be anyone other than Jack White?

Comment

Paul, yes this is Jack's 53.

Jeff, the guy that owns the machine shop helped me with the heads. I was going to cut the guides by hand and he stopped me, asking what the valve guide angle was on the Stude heads. The machine set up at around 9 degrees. Once we got the first guide set up, I cut all of the guides in no time using a pilot shaft in the guide with the cutter in the chuck.
          There is always something to learn. I'm glad I am not too old to learn new tricks.
          Last edited by starliner62; 11-12-2011, 05:24 PM.
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            When he said that the car owner is "some guy that likes Alabama", could it be anyone other than Jack White?
            I guess everyone knows Jack. He can't run and he can't hide.
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

I was curious, if the valve guides were the tightest you have ever seen on a Stude motor, why did you replace them? Or was that after you replaced them?

Also, I love the Venolia pistons sticker on your tool box. I grew up not far from there. I had a few sets in some old race bugs I built back in the 80s. I had a 10 second street bug {1/4 mile NOT 1/8th} and a stompin 13 second Baja bug with 31" tires {big tires kill small motors} and it would stand straight up and tap the rear engine cage on the ground and carry the front wheels till you shifted to 3rd gear....very fun stuff.

Comment

When I saw a reference to a 259 in a 1953 that is in NC. I thought of a 1953 Starliner that I built with a 1962 259 that now resides in NC. It looks to be a different car. If it was the one that I built, I could have told you early history on the engine.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It looks like he just machined the tops of the guides for press on valve stem seals.
                  Jeff

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                  I was curious, if the valve guides were the tightest you have ever seen on a Stude motor, why did you replace them? Or was that after you replaced them?
                  <snip>.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

GOT it now.
                    So then there is more that just the standard push on rubber valve stem seals on Studes as well.

Comment

It was a good Studebaker day indeed. I can't say I was much help, but I had a good time doing what I did do.

Oh, and by the way, Jack can't reply right now -- Alabama is playing football and it is on the tube right now.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                        GOT it now.
                        So then there is more that just the standard push on rubber valve stem seals on Studes as well.
                        They look like these...

Jeff

Comment

Gary, the Stude you are referring to is alive and well. This engine belongs in a car that is under construction.
                          Jamie McLeod
                          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                          1955 Commander Sedan
                          1964 Champ
                          1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                            They look like these...

I have put these seals on Stude heads without having to cut the guides. I think the guides on these heads have been replaced. The guides had a different taper at the top and the seals were loose, which is why I had to cut the guide for a smaller seal.
                            Jamie McLeod
                            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                            1955 Commander Sedan
                            1964 Champ
                            1960 Lark

Comment

They look like teflon seals. I have used those type on other engines...new to Studes, so thanks for the education.

Where are those seals available from and what do they cost? How much better are they than the stock rubber style?
                              Last edited by kmac530; 11-12-2011, 07:45 PM. Reason: oops

Comment

Working...
                              X