Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memory Help, Please.. (Bonneville Avanti - Flathead Powered)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Help, Please.. (Bonneville Avanti - Flathead Powered)

I remember a few years ago there was an Avanti project that was going to be flathead Ford powered.
    Seem to remember T-shirts being sold as a fundraiser.
    Anyone remember who that was, and whatever happened to it?
    Google hasn't steered me all the way there... Still a fuzzy memory.
    Thanks ahead of time....
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Bonneville Avanti w/flathead

Jeff:
    You may be thinking of a '53/'54 coupe run by a group from Minnesota. They call it Salt 2 Salt (winter salt from Minnesota 2 Bonneville salt). In the past, I believe it was powered by a flathead Studebaker 6 cylinder and then a flathead Ford. This year it has a de-stroked 232 Studebaker V8 (182 cubic inches) and went somewhere around 137 MPH.
    Last edited by brngarage; 11-12-2011, 03:37 PM.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

You may be thinking of the Champion six powered Avanti that Cathcart was trying to put together to run in the XO/Altered or Comp Coupe class. I bought a t-shirt that was supposed help fund that project. Alas the project never came to fruition however.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That's it.... That's the one.
        I just remembered the flathead part
        jeff

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
        You may be thinking of the Champion six powered Avanti that Cathcart was trying to put together to run in the XO/Altered or Comp Coupe class. I bought a t-shirt that was supposed help fund that project. Alas the project never came to fruition however.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Howard... I know the Salt2Salt gang, and also the Dreigers '53 (originally built by the late Ron Zampa)....
          But for some weird reason I thought there was a flathead Ford V8 Avanti project, but was reminded it was a Champ 6 flathead..
          Jeff

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
          Jeff:
          You may be thinking of a '53/'54 coupe run by a group from Minnesota. They call it Salt 2 Salt (winter salt from Minnesota 2 Bonneville salt). In the past, I believe it was powered by a flathead Studebaker 6 cylinder and then a flathead Ford. This year it has a de-stroked 232 Studebaker V8 (182 cubic inches) and went somewhere around 137 MPH.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
          X