Dash lights out, 62 Lark, and I have no idea why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Dash lights out, 62 Lark, and I have no idea why

I had a chance to drive my Lark after sunset for the first time in years. When I turned on the lights the headlight came on but the dash light were out (not good with black dial faces). I'm going to get my manual out in the morning to check proceedures but any advice or direction from anyone who is more electrically minded than me is welcome.

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

This is a stupid question and I hope you don't take it the wrong way, but, you did have the instrument lights switched on, right?

Comment

I haven't driven my '62 Lark for a while, but IIRC the brightness of the dash lights is controlled by rotating the headlight switch. Try turning it right/left and see if they come on.
      JWW

Comment

In my profession there is no such thing as a stupid question

Yes, I did the obvious...Switch was pulled out... headlights on. I then twisted the light switch knob to the left and to the right while driving, nothing

Before I look under the dash and check individual bulbs, I cannot recall if is the system wired so one bad bulb takes out the whole system.

Also, if I recall there is a fuse on the back of the switch, does it have anything to do with the dash lights?

It has been years since I regularly drove my Lark so I have to remember all of the car's quirks

Jeff T.
        \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
        The Replacements.

Comment

No, one bad bulb won't take out the whole dash lighting system, unless maybe it shorted out and blew the fuse. If the fuse is blown you should have no tail lights, too.

If only the dash lights are out, best guess would be the rheostat in the switch has gone bad, or the switch itself, or else the wire from the switch to the dash lamp harness has come unplugged.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I need to check gordr's mention of the plug harness but I didnt see anything like that on mine at first glance.
            The dash bulbs are all good, the OIL light comes on when ignition is turned to on position, thats good but I thought the AMP light would be on with the engine not running and the ign switch on as well and it is off. Then there are no other bulbs lit for the heat guage or gas guage, etc.

I am having the same problem as the first arthur of this thread back in 2005!! Same 61 lark year, just many years later. Am I right in assuming the AMP light should be lit as I mentioned above? Any and all other input would be appreicated.
            G

Comment

Can anyone tell me how to remove the knob off of my lights switch on a 61' lark? I see a small metal clip but i cant remove it either, or dont know how.....

Comment

Also, is there anywhere i can get a wiring diagram for a 1961, 6 cylinder lark? My two manuals have no wiring diagrams.

Comment

My thoughts are as Matthew suggested. However, some years the cars had separate switches for instrument lights and others are incorporated into the main light switch. Usually, the instrument light controller incorporates a rheostat so that you can vary the brightness. It has been my experience that these rheostats are subject to corrosion, loss of spring tension on the tiny contact or both. Often, you can get them to work by simply manipulating the switch enough to break the corrosion and re-establish contact. If the resistance coil at the contact surface wears through, it will break the circuit and not work until replaced or repaired.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Wow! A blast from the past. Gregor, you might get more results by posting a new thread, instead of replying to a dead thread. But at least it would seem you are using the search function, so good on ya!

Knob clips on the '61: looking closely at the knob will reveal a small notch on the dash end of the knob, usually on the underside. Take a small straight-blade screwdriver, or a jackknife blade with a square end, place it in that notch, and push toward the spindle of the switch. You should feel a springy resistance from the clip. While pushing the clip as far as it freely will move, pull on the knob, and it should come free.

Oil light and amp light bulbs are not on the lighting circuit at all. They are in two-terminal sockets, with no ground at the dash. They get 12 volts from the "ign" terminal on the ignition switch, and get ground from the oil pressure switch and voltage regulator, respectively.

As to the dash illumination lamps, first thing to check is that you have tail lamps, because dash lights get powered from the tail lamp circuit on the headlight switch. If you have both tail lights and dash lights out, it could be a bad switch, or the fuse mounted on the switch (I think) could be blown. If tail lights work, and dash lights don't, and you have determined that the dash bulbs are OK, then either the rheostat built into the headlight switch is bad, or there is a wire disconnected.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I ran into the reostat issue as well, but on 64's, never worked on the older ones. Just swapped it out with another I had and everything came backt to life.

Comment

Working...
                      X