License Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License Plates

I have a great opportunity to buy some great shape California Truck specific Black plates with Yellow Numbers.

I know you can register a vehichle with those year specific plates but I heard you can NOT use a plate from a different year unless it is the assigned number on your title.

These plates say 63 in the box where you put the annual year sticker. I have heard that on these plates that is not a year of vehichle number that is a plate model and they used that plate for many years and I can use these plates no problem....just thought I would ask before I popped on them.

Although the price is SO good it really would not kill me even if I could not use them...

Any input?

Well the plates that came on my 60 Champ are the same , they have 63 in the one corner.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Do you think they are original from 1960?

Comment

I've been using the yellow on black plates that have been on Pete ever since he came to California (he was delivered new in Roswell NM). When he was totalled in '95, the DMV said I'd have to surrender his old plates before they issued new ones. I thought: What the hell??? HOW would surrendering the old plates make him any more official or taxable? I was arguing with the gal at the window when her supervisor happened by. The clerk explained my complaint - the super dashed her signature to give the rule a pass and Pete's still wearin' those same plates. Heck, I've got a couple pairs of old commercial plates I'd give you if you want.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'd doubt that there would of been 63 plates issued in 60 .....heck the end of the world was in 62 ...remember the movie "On the Beach" <g>
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Kelly I pput the yellow on black plates on my 1964. All the DMV wanted was to see the ear tag in the corner of the plate. The plates I had were originally issued in 1965, so the year tag, even though the plate itself had the 63 imbossed in the metal had to be 1964 for me to use them. I went on ebay and bought the little year tag for waht I needed and put it on the plate. Took the plates back to the DMV and had no problems. Now you can only use the yellow on black plates here in CA for the years they were available. Not sure the years. But it works. They are called Year of Manafacture in the DMV book.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Comment

In California, 41 to 46 plates were black with yellow lettering. Plates were the old aspect ratio - long and skinny with rounded corners. Year was designated by a metal tag that covered the year (41) stamped on the plate.
              -47 to 50 plates were yellow with black lettering and the old aspect ratio - long and skinny with rounded corners. Year was designated by a metal tag that covered the year (47) stamped on the plate.
              -51 to 55 plates were black with yellow lettering and the old aspect ratio - long and skinny with rounded corners. Year was designated by a metal tag that covered the year (51) stamped on the plate.
              -56 to 62 plates were yellow with black lettering. They started the new/modern aspect ratio with sharper corners, the ones that all states now use. From 57 on, year was now designated with reflective stick ons, like modern plates.
              -63 to somewhere in the early 70's plates were black with yellow lettering and continuing the the new/modern aspect ratio. These plates started a new letter/number sequence, ie ABC-123. This yields somewhere over 13 million overall combinations, with certain letter combinations left out, like FUK for example. These black plates also had the option of early vanity plates, where you could write your own cryptic sayings, most notably "ham" radio call signs.
              -somewhere in the early 70's the plates went to blue with yellow lettering. At that time the position of the letters and numbers was reversed, ie 123-ABC
              -Sometime after that, the sequence was changed to seven digits starting with the numeral 1, followed by the old ABC-123 again.
              -Sometime in the 80's California bowed to pressure from the Feds, and made the plates reflective white with blue lettering.

More than you wanted to know?
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-16-2011, 05:46 PM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy is correct. The new yellow-on-black plates that were issued in 1963 had the "63" debossed in the box in the upper right corner. They were revalidated in 1964 and all subsequent years with stickers. Some time near the end of the 64 registration year, Calif ran out of the plates with the debossed 63 on them, and all subsequent plates have just had plain debossed sticker boxes. Roy's numbering info applies to passenger cars. Trucks (as you may well know) used single letter prefexes, while trailer used two-letter prefixes.

KMAC -- You didn't specify what year you're looking for, but if it's 1960, then you need the earlier black on yellow style that was used from 56 to 62.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

To augment Roy's historical overview, California plates from 1941 through 1943 were black with yellow lettering. A metal tag went across the entire top of the plate in 1942 and there was a little tag with the letter " V " for 1943. There was no plate issue in California in 1944, only a sticker for the front windshield. As indicated, black with white lettering was used for 1945 and 1946. Also, 1945 was the only year a rear only plate was issued in California.

The sticker is about 3 1/2" by 3"

If KMAC is interested in a 1960 plate, this would be the result, only with a truck lettering scheme

Again, more than you wanted to know.
                  Perry
                  \'50 Business Champion
                  \'50 Starlight Champion
                  \'60 Lark Convertible,
                  \'63 GT R1,
                  \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Perfect example of what I have stated in the new member thread from Larklurker....always helpful with an abundance of info on SDC.

so to clarify another part of my question, the - 63-70s black with yellow letters plates ALL said 63 in the upper right corner, at least that is what I have heard from 2 other sources?
                    Then can I use those on my '52 truck?

Comment

Let me add my 2 cents worth. Correct me if I'm wrong but when the black/yellow plates were issued in 63 they replaced the prior used plates, updating them year by year with the "sticker" showing the current year. Newer plates came afterwards as Radio Roy listed so well, but the old plates weren't replaced this time or in the plate designs that came afterward.

Kelly, you could go with either the black/yellow plate (of 63) or the earlier one that had the different aspect ratio dimentions that was current back in 52. Now to further confuse things, if your truck had a camper shell on it, then a car plate is acceptable. Dont ask why. This is California where nothing has to make sense!
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                        Perfect example of what I have stated in the new member thread from Larklurker....always helpful with an abundance of info on SDC.

so to clarify another part of my question, the - 63-70s black with yellow letters plates ALL said 63 in the upper right corner, at least that is what I have heard from 2 other sources?
                        Then can I use those on my '52 truck?
                        i would think you could use the '63 plates in ca, since out of state vehicles, whatever year after '63 would get those plates...

however, i remember my dad's '64 ch*vy 3/4 ton pick-up, had commercial plates on it. the letters and numbers were in a different order and more numbers than letters if i recall correctly.

i'd go with a plate issued in '52, don't know if the commercial plates were different then.

by the way, when we moved to ca in 1960 from ky (i was 5), our '56 olds new ca plate was VHL148. in '63, the new plate was HQU830...

can't remember what i did yesterday, but my brain's "hard drive" still has that info...
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                          i would think you could use the '63 plates in ca, since out of state vehicles, whatever year after '63 would get those plates.../Cut/
                          Well except that they were replaced in 1970 with Yellow on Blue plates, so 1969 would be the last year you would have normally gotten one from in State or out of State. Totally confused now?

StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            Well except that they were replaced in 1970 with Yellow on Blue plates, so 1969 would be the last year you would have normally gotten one from in State or out of State. Totally confused now?

i ass-u-me-d he knew that, and the "palm tree" plates later, etc.

i was thinking someone might recall if plates issued in '52 for commercial trucks, including some pickups in ca were lettered/numbered differently than car plates...

i think dad had commercial plates on his since the ca vehicle code said that if he had anything lying in the bed, like a ladder, chp could pull him over, considering it a "work truck" if he didn't have the comm. plates...
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

KMAC, Skip Lackie said that California ran out of the plates with the debossed '63 latle in 1964. I didn't know that. So later year black plates would not have had the '63. As for a '52 truck, you could not use these plates. The only YOM plates you could use would be the '51 plate with a '52 metal tag. That said, you will see '52 vehicles, or any earlier year vehicle, running around the state year with the '63 yellow on black plates on them. This is because they were issued to them in 1963 and are still valid today. The 1923 Studebaker Special Six we used to own had '63 plates.
                              Perry
                              \'50 Business Champion
                              \'50 Starlight Champion
                              \'60 Lark Convertible,
                              \'63 GT R1,
                              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Working...
                              X