Tapered axles phased out when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapered axles phased out when?

I know that during the 1965 model year tapered axles were phased out, but does anyone know at what serial number? If you take a wheel off can you tell which kind of axle a car has? My Daytona's brakes are stuck on and the drums won't come off. It thought it would be good to know what kind of axle I'm dealing with. This car has serial number C5I0225. Thanks.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

If you have a tapered axle it can be clearly identified by looking to see if it has a castelated nut with a cotter key present at the center of the wheel. On flanged axles the area at the center of the wheel will be flat.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If you have a tapered axle it can be clearly identified by looking to see if it has a castelated nut with a cotter key present at the center of the wheel. On flanged axles the area at the center of the wheel will be flat.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Scott,
        Even with the wheel on (but the hubcap off) you can tell. If you see a big nut in the center, you have tapered axles. If you just see a flat, round plate at the center hole in the wheel, you have the flanged axles.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Scott,
          Even with the wheel on (but the hubcap off) you can tell. If you see a big nut in the center, you have tapered axles. If you just see a flat, round plate at the center hole in the wheel, you have the flanged axles.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

OK. Here's my wheel. It looks like it must be a tapered axle. Do I pass?

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

OK. Here's my wheel. It looks like it must be a tapered axle. Do I pass?

Comment

Yep that is a tapered axle, time to try and back off the brake shoe adjusters and try to pull the drum- hub assembly with a suitable puller.Seek advice if you have not done this before!!!
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Yep that is a tapered axle, time to try and back off the brake shoe adjusters and try to pull the drum- hub assembly with a suitable puller.Seek advice if you have not done this before!!!
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

The bad news is that even after weeks of letting liquid solvents work, none of the adjusters will budge and it seems as thought the shoes are in a groove with a ridge keeping the drums on. If brute force must be used, what's the best course of action?

Comment

The bad news is that even after weeks of letting liquid solvents work, none of the adjusters will budge and it seems as thought the shoes are in a groove with a ridge keeping the drums on. If brute force must be used, what's the best course of action?

Comment

Scott,
                        Do you have a drum puller? If not, I can bring mine with me.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Scott,
                          Do you have a drum puller? If not, I can bring mine with me.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi Dick,

I don't and if it's something special I doubt the shop working on the car has the right one either. If it's a special tool please bring it!

Comment

Hi Dick,

I don't and if it's something special I doubt the shop working on the car has the right one either. If it's a special tool please bring it!

Comment

Working...
                              X