Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Bend Mayor doesn’t remember Studebakers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend Mayor doesn’t remember Studebakers!!!

To put it another way; the newly elected Mayor of South Bend is so young he wasn’t even born until long after Studebaker left town!!!

He shouldn't be mayor if he doesn't even know the history of the city!!

Geez.. Kids these days...

Comment

"To put it another way; the newly elected Mayor of South Bend is so young he wasn’t even born until long after Studebaker left town!!! "

Well...in due time it was bound to happen. On the otherhand, time does fly when you're having fun. You know, like taking great roadtrips down country lanes. You lose track of time, forget where you are at. This is especially true if you are a bear in his natural habitat. ;-)

Comment

Still, someone in a position like that should know at least some history of his town, especially BIG things like what car was made there for about 60 years and was probably the single biggest employer in SB for many years...

I was not born when Angels flight was around in LA but I know what it was. LA trolley cars were closed down in 1962 I think, I was born in 1964 but I know that they existed and even can show you some of the old tracks. I was not around for the PIKE amusement park in Long Beach but I know about it...Im just sayin.

Even a non politician should know some history of his home town or home region.

Comment

I wasn't around when Studes were made either.

Then again, neither was my mother.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            I wasn't around when Studes were made either.

Then again, neither was my mother.
            Ditto that...

Comment

Say, y'all, I listened to the interview and Studebaker wasn't mentioned at all; good, bad, or otherwise.

'Better give the new young Mayor a chance to express his attitude toward the city's industrial past before jumping to any conclusions....unless I missed something in the interview. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                Still, someone in a position like that should know at least some history of his town, especially BIG things like what car was made there for about 60 years and was probably the single biggest employer in SB for many years...

I was not born when Angels flight was around in LA but I know what it was. LA trolley cars were closed down in 1962 I think, I was born in 1964 but I know that they existed and even can show you some of the old tracks. I was not around for the PIKE amusement park in Long Beach but I know about it...Im just sayin.

Even a non politician should know some history of his home town or home region.
                I remember the Studebakers and had my first before you were born Kelly, 1958 also I remember the "Pike" in Long Beach since I was in the Navy and stationed in Long Beach on the USS Yorktown CVS 10, lots of good times had at the pike even with out much money in my pockets.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Sunday at the Michiana Chapter's meeting in the SNM this "expected" victory for the young new Mayor was generally looked on as a "POSTIVE."

On January 2, 2012, all 12,400 SDC Members from around the globe need to email, fax or phone in congratulations and best wishes from the Studebaker Drivers Club! Now wouldn't that make some kind of "impression" on the young new Mayor of South Bend!!!

Comment

Just a bit of clarification: the story doesn't say the new mayor doesn't know about Studebaker. It just makes the point that he's 29. That makes him to young to remember the Studebaker manufacturing organization. For all we know, he's fully aware of his city's history.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                      >>>For all we know, he's fully aware of his city's history.
                      OR ...soon will be as the Studebaker National Museum will be under his care!!! Hey, maybe we can ask Pete to finish up the "Woody" for us???

Comment

Showbiz kid and BobP...good point. I didnt watch the video before I commented, I was going off of the gist of the title....The news reporter did say he was well studied in history so maybe he does know all about it.

Welcome, did we miss something in the story? now that I actually watched it.

Comment

Why will the Museum be under his care, thought it was a seperate organization?
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Uh, ? Bevis- change it!

Comment

I remember when Studebakers were new in 1952, went around to many of the car dealerships looking at cars when i was 9 years old. Went to Disneyland in Ca when i was 12, I also remember the Pike amusment park,and Knotts Berry Farm. My uncle worked for Disneyland in Maintenance, from 1955 to about 1970.
                              as for the new Mayor,were are gonna have to get use to it, Maybe he will tour the Studebaker Museum and gain interest in Studebakers.
                              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X