Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the Ranchero considered the first American coupe utility vehicle over a Coupe Express?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the Ranchero considered the first American coupe utility vehicle over a Coupe Express?

Anyone know?

Sure - cause Ford's still in business. And if we treat them right, they'll honor us with more ad revenue.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It probably has more to do with the fact that the Coupe Express had a separate bed from the cab whereas the Ranchero and El Camino had bed and body combined.
      \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
      Jim Mann
      Victoria, B.C.
      Canada

Comment

Actually, it's probably nothing more than the fact that people don't have a clue that Studebaker had the Coupe Express long before the Ranchero came into existance.
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I think that's probably closer to the truth. In a word - ignorance. It's like my spreading the word about how Studes rule at the muscle car drags. You can see the degree of receptiveness in the eyes of non-Stude types. They pretty much figure I'm spreading something other than "the word". <G>
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

And the Hudson folks will argue that the Terraplane Pick up had Studebaker beat by at least a year... Here's a 1936

Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
              It probably has more to do with the fact that the Coupe Express had a separate bed from the cab whereas the Ranchero and El Camino had bed and body combined.
              That is one parameter, and built on a passenger car frame. However, the first car-based pickup with an integrated body & box is the Crosley.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                That is one parameter, and built on a passenger car frame. However, the first car-based pickup with an integrated body & box is the Crosley.

Craig
                Probably true, but with thousands of different car manufacturers over the years... who knows?
                Attached Files
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by DudeStude View Post
                  Anyone know?
                  For exactly the same reason the 1964 Pontiac LeMans with GTO package (it was not a separate model until 1966, contrary to popular belief) is generally accepted as the first muscle car, the 1963 Super Lark nothwithstanding...or any of a dozen other earlier cars, for that matter. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

So few sold and most people alive can't remember that far back.

Comment

Am I missing something?
                      A ranchero and el camino are different than a Coupe Express or a Hudson Terraplane mainly because it is a one piece cab/bed vehichle like StudeMann said where the Coupe express has a separated bed.
                      If you wanna spilt hairs and go way back, were not the teens and 20s Ford model A and model AA the same basic chassis and same hood, fenders, cowl, grill shell, and even doors?
                      Wouldn't that make the early fords the first american coupe utility?

Comment

I think the first "Ute" vehicle was designed and built by Lew Bandt of Ford Australia in the 1930s. he later died in it but it was restored. http://www.fastlane.com.au/Features/First_ute.htm
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I think it's because most hobbyists today are most familiar with post-WWII cars and don't know about many automotive "firsts" that occurred before the early 1940s.

For example, everyone thinks Chevy's first V-8 was the 1955, but they also came out with one way back in their early days. (It was a real piece of junk too, IIRC what I read about it.)

Dave Bonn
                          '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                            I think the first "Ute" vehicle was designed and built by Lew Bandt of Ford Australia in the 1930s. he later died in it but it was restored. http://www.fastlane.com.au/Features/First_ute.htm
                            Australia is the car-based truck (Ute) capital of the world! For years, there were, and still are car-based trucks you would never think of such as Armstrong-Siddeley who exclusively marketed them there. And Ford and Holden still have them on the market today. http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/ute#/overview

Craig
                            Last edited by 8E45E; 11-10-2011, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Just for the record, the first Chevrolet V-8 was 1917. It wasn't very good.
                              Rog
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X