Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Turbo

Has anyone turbocharged a V8. What kind of setups have been used. I'm looking at a 10 lb or less boost. Thanks

Yes , a number have been done. Use the search box in the upper right corner of the this page.
    Also go to Racingstudebakers.com .
    Bill H
    Daytona Beach
    SDC member since 1970
    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

you have a couple options.
      1, you can go with fuel injection.it is prob the easiest but as you know costs quite a bit
      2, you can go with a carb set up but it has to be a blow thru and they cost more. they can be found around quik fuel's web site. you can go e-85 with a carb also and there are many reasons for doing so.when you are going with that amount of boost. the E-85 works like a race gas and you can run more timing because it has a octane rating of like 110 ( it acts just like 110) it keeps your charge cooler to boot. or you can go just gas and you need a blow thru anyways
      3,you can go with a draw thru system.they used them on the turbo trans am's and grand nationals ect. although they make power they are "old tech" and the blow thru carb thing is a lot better.turbos are great but require a lot of research when it comes to fuel,timing,ect.if you have any questions,please ask I would rather see you go fast than blow anything up FOR SURE! lots to learn and consider on this one

Comment

If there's one thing I know it's boosting engines. And I don't mean stealing them . I don't have experience on an old V8 yet but most the principle is the same. The real specifics that are vehicle related are parts availability and what the motor can handle. You can find cheap off the shelf parts for a Honda civic which makes the process easier while other cars you will have to pay big money for or go custom. I'm not sure what's available for off the shelf for a studebaker but if you go custom you either need the tools and skills or deep pockets. I am all about turbos, I love them and would generally choose them however for one of these old V8s I would be much more inclined to throw on a Supercharger. You can run the stock exhaust system which would be a big benefit especially if you can't find off the shelf parts. You would need to find a spot for it accessible by the belt, make brackets, and run your intake piping. Like mookandairin said either way you will need to figure out how you are going to fuel it but that aside I feel like supercharging it would be much cheaper and easier. You can get a used eaton M90 or M62 on ebay pretty cheap. Superchargers also take more readily to putting the carb before it so this can make it easier without jumpping into the world of fuel injection, expensive turbos or complex induction. Most turbos don't like to be put under vacuum and it blows the compressor seals so putting the carb before the turbo isn't an option unless the turbo is designed for it.
        With the V8 and turbo you also need to decide if you are going to run one big turbo or two smaller ones. One big turbo will probably be cheaper and it will be simpler but you have to figure out how to route both headers to it. Two small turbos will take up more space and will likely cost more but routing the exhaust will be simpler. If you choose to go turbo this is a great resource to find the size of turbo you want without needing to learn all the math involved to read a turbo map yourself. http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/
        It can even help if you are looking at a map for another turbo or supercharger because it will give you a rough idea of the flow and pressure ratio your motor will need and that's all you need to read any compressor map. Eaton has compressor maps for their superchargers on their website as well.
        If you want to get crazy and are a very adventurous DIYer you could do fuel and if you want even spark controlled by Megasquirt. This takes a big commitment but it is a full standalone engine management that is very affordable.

Comment

Well said!
          Originally posted by yoshimitsuspeed View Post
          if there's one thing i know it's boosting engines. And i don't mean stealing them . I don't have experience on an old v8 yet but most the principle is the same. The real specifics that are vehicle related are parts availability and what the motor can handle. You can find cheap off the shelf parts for a honda civic which makes the process easier while other cars you will have to pay big money for or go custom. I'm not sure what's available for off the shelf for a studebaker but if you go custom you either need the tools and skills or deep pockets. I am all about turbos, i love them and would generally choose them however for one of these old v8s i would be much more inclined to throw on a supercharger. You can run the stock exhaust system which would be a big benefit especially if you can't find off the shelf parts. You would need to find a spot for it accessible by the belt, make brackets, and run your intake piping. Like mookandairin said either way you will need to figure out how you are going to fuel it but that aside i feel like supercharging it would be much cheaper and easier. You can get a used eaton m90 or m62 on ebay pretty cheap. Superchargers also take more readily to putting the carb before it so this can make it easier without jumpping into the world of fuel injection, expensive turbos or complex induction. Most turbos don't like to be put under vacuum and it blows the compressor seals so putting the carb before the turbo isn't an option unless the turbo is designed for it.
          With the v8 and turbo you also need to decide if you are going to run one big turbo or two smaller ones. One big turbo will probably be cheaper and it will be simpler but you have to figure out how to route both headers to it. Two small turbos will take up more space and will likely cost more but routing the exhaust will be simpler. If you choose to go turbo this is a great resource to find the size of turbo you want without needing to learn all the math involved to read a turbo map yourself. http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/
          it can even help if you are looking at a map for another turbo or supercharger because it will give you a rough idea of the flow and pressure ratio your motor will need and that's all you need to read any compressor map. Eaton has compressor maps for their superchargers on their website as well.
          If you want to get crazy and are a very adventurous diyer you could do fuel and if you want even spark controlled by megasquirt. This takes a big commitment but it is a full standalone engine management that is very affordable.

Comment

John Dwyer in Racine, WI has 1962? T-Cab truck that has a turbo charger and A/C installed on the V8, talk about a crowded under the hood setup, changing spark plugs takes a real contortionist to get at them all. I thought I had photos of it but can't find them right now, maybe it was video?
            Stude8

Comment

I can imagine holey cow that has got to be crowded. I don't even have p/s and I got no room

Comment

There it is.

Comment

that looks great. I am very impressed.good job!

Comment

Working...
                  X