seat tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat tags

I removed the seat back in my 53, and found some interesting tags.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1734316Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1734317

The first tag is very faded but it reads as far as I can see, "Received Jul 27 1953 National Automotive Fibres (?) Los Angeles Subject 10 Weight and Count." On the back of the tag, in pencil, is 299817-36

The 2nd tag is somewhat interesting with the "Final Run Old Style."

Some of you may recall that the museum was unable to find a build sheet for my car (I am going to try again) so finding little things like this are more fascinating to me (aside from the fact that anything paper survived that long.) Of course, over the years there's no guarantee that these were the seats that originally came in the car.

Any idea what the "Final Run Old Style" means? Is the number the upholstery type?
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Interesting...

Where these tags attached the springs or laying loose? What is the body number of your car? Would tell about when in the model year it was made. My '53 seat springs each had a metal tag about 1/2" wide and couple inches long crimped onto the spring frame someplace with what is probably the part number for the spring assembly.

Jeff in ND

Comment

They were attached to the springs. My car was Los Angeles built, so maybe that's why I don't have the metal tags? The body # is 3818, which doesn't seem all that early to me, but it does have the early tri-star emblem and the tri-stars on the hub caps and the ash tray, etc. (but those could've been added later)

I found another tag on the back of the seat, attached to the springs as well. It reads:

NAFI - LA
      14G-C3
      7902 CC
      RB

From looking at other people's build sheets on here, I'm thinking the 7902 CC might be the upholstery type?

Thanks Jeff.
      Dave Nevin
      Corvallis, OR
      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Wow! What a coincidence. My K body is also 3818!! 14G K5 #3818.

I recall reading somewhere the C bodies didn't start production until after the K's and I know from my build sheet mine was made in late May of '53. SB built. It is also a tri-star car. There were more C's made than K's though. I would guess your's is fairly early.

Jeff in ND

Comment

What are the chances of that!

We'll just have to consider our cars to be fraternal twins.
          Dave Nevin
          Corvallis, OR
          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Parts books reveal that the tri-star emblems on hood and trunk were used to the end in Los Angeles built cars. I have a 4H-C3 that was built there in LATE August and it had the tri-stars front and rear - horn button too.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
              Parts books reveal that the tri-star emblems on hood and trunk were used to the end in Los Angeles built cars. I have a 4H-C3 that was built there in LATE August and it had the tri-stars front and rear - horn button too.
              Wow, I did not know that. Thanks!
              Dave Nevin
              Corvallis, OR
              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Studebaker made less than 10K Champions of all body types for 1953 in Vernon. What is your serial number?
                Bob K. beat me to the punch on the tri-stars. All 1953 C/Ks built in Vernon used the tri-stars.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, it is 925919
                  Dave Nevin
                  Corvallis, OR
                  Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
                    Gary, it is 925919
                    Assuming that starts with a G- , then it is 85% through the model year of Vernon (CA) production. It is late in the model year, but not near the end of the year's production, which I thought might be the case based on the tags that you found.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It does start with a G. Of course the seat could have been switched out at some point. I'll check the bottoms for tags to see if they match or if there are more clues. Thanks for the info.
                      Dave Nevin
                      Corvallis, OR
                      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Since all the interior was gone when I got my Commander, I can't tell what - if any - tags there were on the springs.
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                        X