1957 President Broadmoor Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 President Broadmoor Wagon

Shortly after sunset, the transporter arrived with my new '57 Broadmoor. The engine fired up after about 1 1/2 revolutions and ran pretty well. It needs the valves adjusted and I'm sure some other things but overall it's in really great shape. Only the left front brake seems to work, and it's dragging pretty bad. After a thorough cleaning, the brake system will be the first thing to be rebuilt. Still, I was able to drive it about 500 yards, down the street and up the driveway.

There's some rust in the lower front fenders and rear quarters, but I knew that and I definitely wasn't expecting a perfect car. Overall I think it'll clean up to make a pretty decent driver.

It's a loaded car. Roof rack, door handle guards, factory stainless door edge guards, clock, glove box light, ash tray light (really!), and a host of other things.

There are no signs of "Broadmoor" emblems on the front fenders.

The two little stainless strips on each rear quarter have to be factory. The stainless is the same stamping used to make Transtar door checkmarks, as well as the skinny side trim on '56 Presidents and '58 Packards.

Seeing that, I automatically assumed it to be an early car. With body number 16, I'd say that's definitely the case. I can't wait to see what the Production Order has to say.

The interior is very very nice. The front seat at least will need new padding, but the vinyl is serviceable. All of the dash lights work. The doors open and close like a brand new Studebaker after being lubricated.

The engine bay needs a serious detailing, but it's all there. The power steering works very well.

And of course, factory overspray on the rocker covers.

Peg Trucking was hired for transport, and I was very pleased with the whole operation. Peg called periodically to make sure everything was on the up and up and took care of small things that made me feel a lot more confident since this was the first time I've ever had a car transported. I'll highly recommend her.

Oh, and of course, the important things first.

Overall I am very, very happy. It still feels like a dream.
    Last edited by mbstude; 11-07-2011, 07:42 PM.

Cool beans, Matthew. It will be intersting to see the PO.

Two questions:

1. What's the little silver canister-looking gizmo attached to (sticking out from) the firewall, immediately above the accelerator bellcrank at the back of the engine?

2. Why is the battery unrestrained? (Sorry, you knew I couldn't resist!)

Seriously, 'looks like a nice ride with which you'll have a lot of fun. Congrats! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The silver canister is an underhood light. There's even a little button switch where the front edge of the hood will turn it on or off. And the battery hold down is laying in the cargo area. Don't worry, all will be as it should before it leaves the driveway.

Comment

Have you already filled it with stainless or is that just a reflection in the glass?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          Have you already filled it with stainless or is that just a reflection in the glass?
          That's JDP's stainless inventory that has been relocated to my pile. May as well break the car in right!

Comment

Matthew.... you now have sparked my interest in the late 50's wagons. I wish I had the funds to pick one up! Jealous is word that comes to mind.
            1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Awesome!! Can't wait to see it in person.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Matthew, I look forward to seeing your progress. Will definitely help motivate my Conestoga project.

Pat
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Very nice car Matthew! It really IS a loaded Broadmoor, it even has a Day and Night rear view mirror! How often do you see one of those on a Stude.?

I would not pay much attention to the low body number though, as you know it is the Serial Number that tells the real story about just how early it really is.

It looks like it did not turn out to be Coppertone or Redwood, but GOLD.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Will this one be the one you use to have your goods to the meets? Will we see this one in South Bend?

Comment

I think it's Tiara Gold, too. Everything from the cowl back has been repainted, but it looks like factory paint. The only thing that says that it isn't factory paint is overspray on the rubber. It's an oddball car, who knows what it's history is. The paint label sticker was missing from the underside of the glove box, but I found it laying in the back of the car. Unfortunately the paper is so stained that I can't read it. Maybe it'll clean up, we'll see.

I dug out the cleaners and the buffing supplies and attacked one of the rear quarters. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow night after I go over the whole car.. It's going to look like a completely different wagon.

And yep, I plan to use this car to haul stainless around to vend at a few shows here and there. I have full intentions to drive it to South Bend next year, caravaning with a '56 President Classic, and a '58 President sedan.

Comment

A lovely car indeed Matthew. May I suggest you try to get the paint color label put under an UV "Black" light, this will likely show the writing/typing and identify the color.
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

EXcellent!

Comment

Hi Matt

Very nice rig! It certainly is in remarkably good condition and well equipped, which is rare. I'm sure you'll find it a nice driving car. I enjoyed my '57 President Classic twenty years ago, wish I hadn't gone stupid and sold it. We'll all be interested to see your progress with it.

Once that it's in hand, and you want to add another Studebaker to your collection, consider a nice '56 or '57 President Classic. I think you would really enjoy one.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                              I think it's Tiara Gold, too. Everything from the cowl back has been repainted, but it looks like factory paint. The only thing that says that it isn't factory paint is overspray on the rubber. It's an oddball car, who knows what it's history is. The paint label sticker was missing from the underside of the glove box, but I found it laying in the back of the car. Unfortunately the paper is so stained that I can't read it. Maybe it'll clean up, we'll see.
                              Matthew: Are you sure the front end ("doghouse") has not been replaced in it's entirety?

Reason I ask is that could account for the Broadmoor script missing from both front fenders, if new fenders had been installed and the holes never drilled for the script....plus the evidence of other paint work you suggest. 'Hard to tell from photos far away, of course, so your judgement will prevail pending any on-site inspections.

(Personally, I'm more concerned about the battery hold-down. 'Glad it is accounted for! <GGG>) BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X