No announcement yet.

any professional tire/ wheel guys here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: any professional tire/ wheel guys here?

I've always been lucky enough to have good wheels with no leaky problems. Lately I have some requests for wheels.

My question is what part of the wheel does the sealing?. I am guessing from the first 'flat' all the way to the edge of the wheel. I do not want to go through the troubles of getting wheels all cleaned up if there is any chance they may be no good....

This wheel has some deep pits and I'd consider it a 'maybe' . Is it junk?

This wheel has some deep pits and I'd consider it a 'maybe' . Is it junk?
    Yes, No, Maybe

The bead of modern tires has a soft, flexible layer designed to seal minor irregularities. You are correct in the sealing area extends from the flat inner surface up and out to the edge of the lip. It is often 1/2" wide and will usually seal rust pits.

If it is a rare and or valuable wheel, have it sandblasted or shotblasted and powdercoated.

Bottom line - My local tire store charges $15 to mount and balance a tire. At those prices, you can't afford to guess wrong many times on junk wheels.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack!

Comment

I've seen the tire shops use a little brush on goo that helps seal if the pitting is deeper than the tire can handle. That's what's keeping our spare aired up at the moment.

Comment

Working...
        X