52 Studebaker parking light lens mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Studebaker parking light lens mystery

I bought NOS parking light lenses for my 52 Commander on eBay. When I started to put them on tonight, they were different from the ones on my 52.

They are shaped the same except the back part is convex where as mine are flat. The metal ring that holds them onto the headlight bucket will not fit them.

Both my old ones and the new ones have 3HD molded into the glass.

Does anyone know what these fit. I thougth all 52 headlight trim was the same.

Leonard Shepherd

I've heard that there were a few (maybe 3?) different headlight setups for '52s. I suppose that maybe this is just one variation. It's the first one I've seen like that with the 'dip' though.

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I've heard that there were a few (maybe 3?) different headlight setups for '52s. I suppose that maybe this is just one variation. It's the first one I've seen like that with the 'dip' though.

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I knew if anyone would know, it would be you!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I knew if anyone would know, it would be you!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I ran into this problem several years ago driving down from Deadwood, South Dakota after a Black Hills Chapter meet. A rock flew off of the tire of another car and hit my left parking light dead center. No problem,I thought I'll just use the one I bought a few years ago for a spare. Wrong! I had the same problem you have. My replacement would not fit.
            What I discovered was that this apparently was one of those cases where Studebaker changed the design during production. That was the conclusion I settled on after finding other items with matching part numbers that are not exactly alike. Luckily, the 52 park light lenses are glass and don't degrade like plastic so there are a lot around. You just have to be careful because most sellers don't even know there are two types and can not tell you if you ask which they have.
            Someone else may have a more researched answer, but at least both kinds are usually available at most large swaps.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
            since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

I ran into this problem several years ago driving down from Deadwood, South Dakota after a Black Hills Chapter meet. A rock flew off of the tire of another car and hit my left parking light dead center. No problem,I thought I'll just use the one I bought a few years ago for a spare. Wrong! I had the same problem you have. My replacement would not fit.
              What I discovered was that this apparently was one of those cases where Studebaker changed the design during production. That was the conclusion I settled on after finding other items with matching part numbers that are not exactly alike. Luckily, the 52 park light lenses are glass and don't degrade like plastic so there are a lot around. You just have to be careful because most sellers don't even know there are two types and can not tell you if you ask which they have.
              Someone else may have a more researched answer, but at least both kinds are usually available at most large swaps.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
              since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Two different part numbers listed for 1952 Parking lite lenses and associated parts. Book shows serial numbers of useage for differing styles.[8]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Two different part numbers listed for 1952 Parking lite lenses and associated parts. Book shows serial numbers of useage for differing styles.[8]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sorry Brad, but the "book" doesn't support your contention so far as the parking lite lenses go. If some 3H/12G cars left the factory with a THIRD variation, wouldn't they have to have noted such? Only 2 variations for the 3H/12G cars.
                    NOW!.... you want goofy? There's TEN seprate "Head and Parking Lamp" units listed for '52 cars!!![:0] 50% of these differences are due to USA vs. Canadian models.
                    But as to the rims - only two shown and the difference between them is chrome or paint finish.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Sorry Brad, but the "book" doesn't support your contention so far as the parking lite lenses go. If some 3H/12G cars left the factory with a THIRD variation, wouldn't they have to have noted such? Only 2 variations for the 3H/12G cars.
                      NOW!.... you want goofy? There's TEN seprate "Head and Parking Lamp" units listed for '52 cars!!![:0] 50% of these differences are due to USA vs. Canadian models.
                      But as to the rims - only two shown and the difference between them is chrome or paint finish.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Now I know what those lens retainers we have in stock fit on, 1952's
                        I could not identify them as they had no part # on them. Thanks to Leonard for the photo.
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Now I know what those lens retainers we have in stock fit on, 1952's
                          I could not identify them as they had no part # on them. Thanks to Leonard for the photo.
                          Frank van Doorn
                          Omaha, Ne.
                          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I ran into the same problem on my 52 ragtop, I bought 2 NOS head light assemblys, never looked at the close UNTIL I installed them and went to install the park lamp lenses. I had one of each! IF your original was curved, and you now have a straight lens, the only difference is a welded on bracket on the head lamp bucket. You can drill out the spot welds and use the straight lense. I'm "thinking" that you might need to get the different style retainer too. There is an "up to and after" in the parts book. As Mr. Biggs said.

Jim
                            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                            their Memorials!

Comment

I ran into the same problem on my 52 ragtop, I bought 2 NOS head light assemblys, never looked at the close UNTIL I installed them and went to install the park lamp lenses. I had one of each! IF your original was curved, and you now have a straight lens, the only difference is a welded on bracket on the head lamp bucket. You can drill out the spot welds and use the straight lense. I'm "thinking" that you might need to get the different style retainer too. There is an "up to and after" in the parts book. As Mr. Biggs said.

Jim
                              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                              their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                              X