Dang core plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang core plug

Sitting on the side of I-20 in Aladamnbamma with a core plug blown out and no where to be found.
    Robert is on the way to retrieve me and Frosty.
    I'm up on the side a hill out of harms way relaxing on a blanket.
    You'd think I was having a picnic.
    It'll be an hour or so before Robert gets here.
    I think I'll take a nap. ;-)
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Sorry 'bout that Jerry. Sitting on the side of a crowded interstate can be one of the loneliest places on earth! Hope help gets there soon!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
      Sorry 'bout that Jerry. Sitting on the side of a crowded interstate can be one of the loneliest places on earth! Hope help gets there soon!
      Twenty years ago it would have been an ordeal, but with today's technology..... Piece of cake.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Here in the SE, the State Troopers will stop and sit with you for safety reasons..
        Lot's of bandits on the roads these days....

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That stinks, hope your ride and trailer gets there before it gets too dark.
          Only consolation is that at least the plug is usually an easy fix later.

Comment

The few times that has happened to me I've tried to approach it with perspective. Can't appreciate the victim's state of mind unless you've been there. An opportunity that requires you to observe the passing of the clouds; an exercise in patience. With today's technology and a laptop, just like any other moment in time.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If you had one of those cheezy rubber (temporary) freeze plugs with the 1/2" nut in the center, you could have mabe installed it, poured in a gallon of anti-freeze mix and made it to the next gas station.......just a thought. These are one of a few things I carry in the "care package".

Dan Miller
              Auburn, GA

Comment

I won't use anything except the copper ones you tighten in place to secure. After having lost the steel ones a time or two - no more. Hope yu got home alright Mr. Forrester
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  Here in the SE, the State Troopers will stop and sit with you for safety reasons..
                  Lot's of bandits on the roads these days....
                  Soo you did not bring any friends with you, i.e. Mr. Smith & Wesson?

Comment

I think these are what Bob is talking about

Dorman gives auto repair professionals and vehicle owners greater freedom to fix cars and trucks by focusing on solutions first.

Those are nice. I have never had a problem with a good brass plug though. Not a fan of the galvanized plugs.
                    An install tool is a good idea because it helps seat them and keep them flat with no nicks in the edges like when you use a punch and hammer or a big socket....but I have made do with all options.

These are a nice {like RRClark says} to keep in a tool kit as a road side repair kit, and water works just fine for a short time period just to get you home.

Comment

In my world we refer to those as "freeze plugs" I had removed them to clean the water jackets on a GT Hawk and was haveing a terrible time replacing them. I had worked with them untill I was completely frustrated and decided to take a break and regroup. While I was calming down I called a Studebaker buddy who was a retired machinist. I asked him "Charlie,do you know an easy way to put freeze plugs in a Studebaker V8?" Charlie said "Well, did you freeze 'em?" Sure made me feel dumb! I put them in the freezer and went home. The next day they went in with ease. I keep a set in the freezer all the time now.
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

I have always heard of them as freeze plugs too. Or even expansion plugs. I dont think it is freeze plugs because you freeze them to install them...lol, they are made to blow out if the water or anti freeze in the motor begins to freeze...hence expansion, or freeze plugs. Keeping a set in the freezer may be a bit extreme since they get cold in short time. I do this with all of my bearing races and press fit engine parts. On motorcycle engines most the motor bearing are a tight or light press fit. I usually get them all ready and put the bearings in the freezer and the cases in the oven at a low temp, under 200* and everything slips together nicely. You know when the bearing hit the bottom of the seats and are seated in. Then when the tempurature equalizes they all snug up nicely.

Comment

What Bob Kabchef said, Jerry.

Assuming the engine is cool enough and you can pry out the remains of the old core plug, those tighten-in-place ones are the berries for on-the-spot repairs, and will last forever.

'Hope you're OK. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The primary frunction of those holes is to allow the casting sand an exit after the block was cast. Kelly, these V8s have a reputation of collecting rust and crud around the rearmost cylinders. You'd do well to make sure you clean out these areas in that 289 you got from me.

I often heat and cool stuff to facilitate assembly. Just makes sense.
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi, Jerry,

Were you on your way to the Lineville show? If so, in addition to the agravation, you missed a good one, according to my Alabama friends who were there. At least 600 cars.

lol, they are made to blow out if the water or anti freeze in the motor begins to freeze...hence expansion, or freeze plugs.
                              Jerry has it correct; they're core plugs. They are there to enable the core sand and wires to be shaken out of the interior of the block casting.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X