Keeping a survivor original, or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping a survivor original, or not?

We are really torn on this. There are a lot of good reasons to go either way. It's the 1940 Deluxe tone Commander with overdrive I posted about buying a month or so back. It has 46,XXX miles on it and has sat in a garage since about 1960. Very nice condition. We have tried polishing the paint and it looks like it will buff out nicely. Front seat is nice. Rear has a cover but may be nice too. Headliner is shot. Wasn't running when we bought it but is now. The negatives are it has some damage in the front nose. Not bad but it is there. The trim piece will be what will be hard to find maybe. The only serious damage is the trunk and a rear fender. The trunk is bad. I want to replace it. Both of us did autobody professionally for years and could fix it. But open the trunk and you could tell from the backside. The fender damage is down below. It will take some work but it won't be too bad. I will post pics of the damage tomorrow. It's because of the damage that we are leaning toward not keeping it as a survivor. The damage really needs to be fixed and then nothing would match and it would not be a survivor any longer. The other alternative is to do the mechanicals to make it roadworthy. Fix the body and then a nice paint job. We don't have the funds to do a full restoration. Then enjoy it. Make no modifications that a future owner couldn't undo to make a full restoration. We would be interested in any comments anyone has.

Here are a few pics. Will add some of the damage later.

sigpic

It's a survivor. Leave it that way. Keep it original.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaBear View Post
      We are really torn on this.>>><<<It's because of the damage that we are leaning toward not keeping it as a survivor. >>>We would be interested in any comments anyone has.
      A question for you first:

Whenever you mentioned "Survivor" is it your intention to try and get your car classified/qualified by the SDC for "Survivor Class" judging ...OR simply want to continue calling your car a "Survivor?" There can be a VERY BIG difference!!! TIA

Comment

Go with your 1st inclination: it is usually correct.
        sigpic

Mike Barany

Comment

please try to keep it as an original survivor, if at all possible!!! read this before you decide:

Come and see the beauty of unrestored original classic cars at the Survivor Collector Car Show. You will soon be a fan. Click here to find out more.

Come and see the beauty of unrestored original classic cars at the Survivor Collector Car Show. You will soon be a fan. Click here to find out more.

and google for more info. you can "fix" problems, and still have a survivor!
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I wasn't even aware of such a class. Tell me more.
            sigpic

Comment

Good articles. Thanks. Will read them completely. We are leaning toward keeping it original.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaBear View Post
                I wasn't even aware of such a class. Tell me more.
                A"SURVIVOR RECOGNITION PROGRAM" was discussed at the SDC Board of Directors Annual Meeting in Springfield last summer. The minutes of that meeting appear in the October 2011 issue of our fine TURNING WHEELS magazine, page 14.

Comment

I would think a survivor could, and should, have normal issues repaired. Stop short of going beyond that.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I agree. There are some things in the course of service that need attention. Maintenance, mechanical repair, minor cosmetic repairs that one would do to keep the car serviceable are acceptable, IMHO.

I have a '62 Hawk with 28K miles. I still consider it a survivor despite having had the front seat inserts replaced by the original owner in '65, Sears A/C added when she moved to Arizona in '67, exhaust and a new water pump when I got it in '85 and a bunch of stone chips touched up and undercoating removed from the under bumper scoop and repainted Ermine white last year.
                    Andy
                    62 GT

Comment

Here are photos of the damage. Otherwise it is undamaged and nearly rust free with only a couple small spots. If we fix this we are not going to match the paint perfectly. Well we can try but it is still going to be obvious it was repaired.

sigpic

Comment

i think you'll be ok with the repairs... each section - interior, exterior, etc. is judged. if you have more than 50% original in each section, you're ok.
                        i'm going with memory here (losing a bit everyday), so others probably can tell you better than i...

an auto paint supply shop may be able to scan the color into their 'puter and mix a close to correct color to match.

i'd try all of that before going to a "restoration"... IMHO
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Think about it. The dents and dings are not original. They didn't come with the car when new. If it were me, I would repair the damage, repaint the car, and enjoy it for the rest of my life. I owned a 40 Commander once. One of my biggest regrets is having to let it go. Looks like you have a great car. NT
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                            Think about it. The dents and dings are not original. They didn't come with the car when new. If it were me, I would repair the damage, repaint the car, and enjoy it for the rest of my life. I owned a 40 Commander once. One of my biggest regrets is having to let it go. Looks like you have a great car. NT
                            What he said.

Original cars are nice, and I love 'em as much as anyone, probably more than most do. But a line has to be drawn somewhere when the condition of the original components is so far from what it was when new, that it simply needs to be redone. If you're able to do the body work and repaint the whole car, that's what I would do.

Comment

If the owner, in '46 or so, when the damage was done, had had the body repaired, you wouldn't be wondering about it now. Have a quality shop fix the fender and deck lid, match the paint as well as they can, and be happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X