Avanti Clutch. HELP PLEASE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Clutch. HELP PLEASE!!!

Ok, so I have had a problem for a while now with the clutch in my Avanti. When you start the car up, when it is cold, the clutch pedal is really nice and smooth and easy to push in. But after about 20 mins or so, once the car has warmed up the pedal gradually gets harder and harder to push in. It kind of feels like its binding somewhere. We have checked all the linkages leading down to the bell housing and it all is good and not catching anywhere which makes me believe the problem is inside the bell housing. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Any help would be much appreciated
    Michael Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
    1961 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
    http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Not sure, but one thing to check is the "connecter" between the linkage and the clutch shaft. They sometimes crack (at the pin holes) and the clutch will do some funny things. You will nee to have someone step on the clutch while inspecting it looking for the "connecter" to spread at the holes.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

It's possible that the clutch release or throw-out bearing is binding on the sleeve and after vibrating into a different position - broken spring?

Comment

Thanks for your input, we have already checked the connecter between the linkages and the clutch shaft and it is all good. I think we are just going to have to pull the gear box out again and have a look. It will be the 5th time I will have bulled the gear box out in little over 12 months
        Michael Pink
        Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
        1961 Lark Cruiser
        1962 GT Hawk
        1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
        http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Had a similar problem and it was the thrust bearing (through out bearing ) fork ends . When cold they stay normal but as motor got hotter they were compromised . After changing them no probs .

Comment

Make sure the shaft cover that the thrust bearing slides on is smooth too.

Comment

Working...
            X