Shoulder slope spoke wheels - calling lstude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder slope spoke wheels - calling lstude

I've always wanted to know, since Studebaker made such a big deal out of it, what the visual difference is between a regular wagon wheel and a Studebaker shoulder spoke wheel (or shoulder slope spoke wheel). Lstude, we need pictures!!
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

You can't see the shoulder slope on a Studebaker spoke, as it's hidden by the hub, once installed.
    The slope referred to is the way the spoke was shaped where it fits into the hub. A non-Stude spoke, of say, a 1" diameter is reduced to around 3/4" and creates a tenon which is inserted into the hub. The flat shoulder sits outside the hub.
    The Studebaker sloped shoulder takes the 1" spoke and gradually necks it down, in a conical shape, to the tenon size, so there's more strength where the spoke meets the hub.
    There was also the offset spoke design, where the angle of each spoke alternated around the wheel, as they entered the hub. This gave more strength when traveling sideways on a hill.

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

You can't see the shoulder slope on a Studebaker spoke, as it's hidden by the hub, once installed.
      The slope referred to is the way the spoke was shaped where it fits into the hub. A non-Stude spoke, of say, a 1" diameter is reduced to around 3/4" and creates a tenon which is inserted into the hub. The flat shoulder sits outside the hub.
      The Studebaker sloped shoulder takes the 1" spoke and gradually necks it down, in a conical shape, to the tenon size, so there's more strength where the spoke meets the hub.
      There was also the offset spoke design, where the angle of each spoke alternated around the wheel, as they entered the hub. This gave more strength when traveling sideways on a hill.

Bob Johnstone
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Ok, I think I understand. Now the next question: did Studebaker use the same basic design in the wood spoked wheels used on cars? Did they make their own car wheels? Any idea when or if that was ever outsourced before full steel wheels?

If Studebaker used that design (patented?) in its car wheels, did other manufacturers license the design, or did they use the standard design? AND, were there car brands that had a reputation for shoddy wood spoke wheels? Maybe Studebaker made wood spoke wheels for lots of brands.

I never thought I could come up with so many questions about wood spoke wheels![:I]
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Ok, I think I understand. Now the next question: did Studebaker use the same basic design in the wood spoked wheels used on cars? Did they make their own car wheels? Any idea when or if that was ever outsourced before full steel wheels?

If Studebaker used that design (patented?) in its car wheels, did other manufacturers license the design, or did they use the standard design? AND, were there car brands that had a reputation for shoddy wood spoke wheels? Maybe Studebaker made wood spoke wheels for lots of brands.

I never thought I could come up with so many questions about wood spoke wheels![:I]

Comment

Thanks Bob, Whew! I'm off the hook. I don't know anything about that subject!

I do have an old farm wagon that I want to put together someday. It is not a Studebaker. Here is what the spokes look like where they go into the hub. This may not be the type of wheel you are talking about.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Thanks Bob, Whew! I'm off the hook. I don't know anything about that subject!

I do have an old farm wagon that I want to put together someday. It is not a Studebaker. Here is what the spokes look like where they go into the hub. This may not be the type of wheel you are talking about.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

There was a good article with illustrations in TW many years back on this subject. Sorry I don't know what issue, but surely someone will.

KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

(and stop calling me "Shirley"[)]
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

There was a good article with illustrations in TW many years back on this subject. Sorry I don't know what issue, but surely someone will.

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

(and stop calling me "Shirley"[)]
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I don't know about Studebaker making it's own wooden automotive wheels, but why not? They were the leader in the field. I would think they did...

Bob Johnstone
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I don't know about Studebaker making it's own wooden automotive wheels, but why not? They were the leader in the field. I would think they did...

Bob Johnstone
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Scott,

Will you be at South Bend? If so, let me know and I will load up a wagon wheel for you that you can examine. The outer rim is rotted off of it, but it still has the spokes in the hub.

Gary

Comment

Scott,

Will you be at South Bend? If so, let me know and I will load up a wagon wheel for you that you can examine. The outer rim is rotted off of it, but it still has the spokes in the hub.

Gary

Comment

Guido,

I won't be at South Bend. Every year I dream about going (especially this year), and every year I just can't justify the expense with so many other bills I have to pay. If you ever feel like taking pictures, maybe that would educate me enough.

I wonder if there has ever been a Studebaker wagon and fittings vendor at the swap meet. That would be very informative and fun the see. I dream about owning a closed Studebaker carriage when I become rich and famous.

Comment

Guido,

I won't be at South Bend. Every year I dream about going (especially this year), and every year I just can't justify the expense with so many other bills I have to pay. If you ever feel like taking pictures, maybe that would educate me enough.

I wonder if there has ever been a Studebaker wagon and fittings vendor at the swap meet. That would be very informative and fun the see. I dream about owning a closed Studebaker carriage when I become rich and famous.

Comment

Working...
                              X