T5 transmission into 59 Silver Hawk V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T5 transmission into 59 Silver Hawk V8

I have posted before about fitting a 700R4 behind my 289 but due to reasons of cost and availability of well rebuilt 700R4s here in NZ, I decided to fit a T5. It is a rebuilt box from Anaheim Gears (LA) being a WC Mustang T5 with 2.95 gear set, and S10 tailshaft so shifter is in better position for bench seat. I am swapping out my T86 with OD box as it was getting sad, clutch was due to be replaced and the free wheeling when out of OD was un-nerving to my wife when she drove it. I have Dan Giblin's adapter plate kit but we needed to remachine the mounting holes to bell housing as I have an older style bell-housing with the almost square hole spacing. Also had to machine up an alignment ring to fit to the T5 clutch bearing retainer to step down to Stude bell-housing size. Everything is ready for me to fit the T5 this weekend.
    I know that a number of guys have fitted the T5 to Avantis and Hawks. There was a very good article on here some time ago from someone who had fitted the T5 to his 1960 (I think?) Hawk. In his post he showed pics of the new clutch bracket he made to fit to the T5. I need to fabricate this bracket which I can't do until I fit the T5 into the car and can then measure up. However - why reinvent the wheel when someone has done this before. Can anyone please send me the link to his post and pics on this clutch mount bracket fot T5 to Stude V8.
    This is a great forum and I appreciate any help from anyone.
    Cheers Mal

clutch bracket

Originally posted by Reo28 View Post
    I have posted before about fitting a 700R4 behind my 289 but due to reasons of cost and availability of well rebuilt 700R4s here in NZ, I decided to fit a T5. It is a rebuilt box from Anaheim Gears (LA) being a WC Mustang T5 with 2.95 gear set, and S10 tailshaft so shifter is in better position for bench seat. I am swapping out my T86 with OD box as it was getting sad, clutch was due to be replaced and the free wheeling when out of OD was un-nerving to my wife when she drove it. I have Dan Giblin's adapter plate kit but we needed to remachine the mounting holes to bell housing as I have an older style bell-housing with the almost square hole spacing. Also had to machine up an alignment ring to fit to the T5 clutch bearing retainer to step down to Stude bell-housing size. Everything is ready for me to fit the T5 this weekend.
    I know that a number of guys have fitted the T5 to Avantis and Hawks. There was a very good article on here some time ago from someone who had fitted the T5 to his 1960 (I think?) Hawk. In his post he showed pics of the new clutch bracket he made to fit to the T5. I need to fabricate this bracket which I can't do until I fit the T5 into the car and can then measure up. However - why reinvent the wheel when someone has done this before. Can anyone please send me the link to his post and pics on this clutch mount bracket fot T5 to Stude V8.
    This is a great forum and I appreciate any help from anyone.
    Cheers Mal
    I have no idea how to post pics. I do have pics of the one I made for my 62 hawk.

Comment

Thanks, it would be great to see you pics if someone can advise how to upload pics. I am a newbie too.
      Thanks to Bob Johnstone who has send me a number links to resources on his website.
      I am sure there is still an article done by someone on fitting a T5 transmission to a 59 or 60 Hawk.
      Can someone help me to use the search properly as I want to search on a number of words and only get threads with ALL of the words but whenever I search I get all threads with ANY of the words so I get hundreds of threads. I need to be able to narrow it down a bit more.
      Cheers Mal

Comment

Comment

Working...
        X