1976 avanti ll rear brake drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 avanti ll rear brake drums

where can one obtain rear drums for this car? part manufacturer numbers would be most helpful. thank you, george perry
    gfperry

There's a pair of NOS drums on Ebay right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVANTI-nos-R...#ht_500wt_1363
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Not sure about the drums but I,v been told Chevy Pick up shoes will fit my 81 Avanti.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
        Not sure about the drums but I,v been told Chevy Pick up shoes will fit my 81 Avanti.
        According to Bob Johnstones web site; Drums are 67-72 Plymouth Fury and shoes are 78-86 Chevy truck. I know Caprice shoes also fit because I got a great by on a close out set that match my 74 exactly. A very popular 2"x 11" Chevy shoe

Bob

Comment

Don Baker worked for Bendix and sorted these brakes out. He told me the drums came from a Ford passenger car. The backing plate and shoe assembly came from an International Scout. A spacer was used between the drum and axle to keep the drum from rubbing on the backing plate. Others might work but supposedly this was done around 1971 when the Dana 44 axle assembly was updated. Parts bin engineering at its finest. I am sure other applications might work because Bendix supplied many manufacturers. Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motor Cars has the drums for sale.

Jim
          james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
            Don Baker worked for Bendix and sorted these brakes out. He told me the drums came from a Ford passenger car. The backing plate and shoe assembly came from an International Scout. A spacer was used between the drum and axle to keep the drum from rubbing on the backing plate. Others might work but supposedly this was done around 1971 when the Dana 44 axle assembly was updated. Parts bin engineering at its finest. I am sure other applications might work because Bendix supplied many manufacturers. Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motor Cars has the drums for sale.

Jim
            Thanks Jim

I'll add that the International Scout II rear axle outer bearing and seal kit is a direct replacement for the 74 Avanti II.

Bob

Comment

Working...
            X