Climatizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climatizer

On '63-'66 Lark type models, the Climatizer controls are part of the instrument cluster. What happened if you didn't order the climatizer? Is there a 'mount plate' that didn't have these cable levers for heat & defrost? What about the horizonal hole for the metal air filter in the firewall?

For most models these are considered accessories. Was the climatizer considered standard equipment during these years?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

It was not standard on all models and yes there were block off plates.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I'd wondered about that myself! My Standard is Climatizer equipped but it's not shown on the build sheet. Dealer installed, maybe?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

My build sheet shows the climatizer as option code 60. I've gone through the parts catalog and I can't find any block off plates for the switches. Does anyone seen these? The munt for the operating cables are cast into the mount plate for the guages. I've need seen a Lark-type of this vintage witout the controls. Anyone have a piture of climatizer delete?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

You'd think since the climatizer for these models is listed in the accessory section, that they were optional.

I went through my parts catalogs also. There are no block of plates, switch plugs, etc. that you would think would come when one was built without the climatizer.

Strange.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Dick! I thought I was losing my mind. I can only assume that with a 'option' code of 60 that this wasn't considered an accessory like numbers that started with 'AC'. I'm guessing by 1963 that this became standard equipment, as it was for just about everyone else.

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I do not see where a Climatizer (heater) is standard on any 1963 Studebaker, except the Avanti. I think that some of you are confusing options and accessories. A Climatizer is accessory number 13 in the large 1963 sales brochure (PD 63-14).

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I do not see where a Climatizer (heater) is standard on any 1963 Studebaker, except the Avanti. I think that some of you are confusing options and accessories. A Climatizer is accessory number 13 in the large 1963 sales brochure (PD 63-14).
                Gary, the levers for heat & defrost are for climatizer only, correct? If this is the case, what covers these holes. I have found no listing for any such cover. On Larks, there are two mount panels listed and one is for the standard and custom and another for the Daytona and Cruiser. There are no seperate parts for Climatizer delete. Possible the sales brochure is wrong?

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

On Studebakers that I have owned that were not factory equipped with a heater, I believe that they still had a defroster. This was on older models that had separate heat and defrost systems. On the newer models, the heater and defroster are in one unit. I checked the large 1961 brochure (PD-61-16) and it also, as the 1963 brochure does, lists the Climatizer as an accessory item. The 1957 Hawk brochure (PD 1014)also lists the Climatizer as an accessory, along with items like a clock and spoke wheel covers. For 1953, the Climatizer (AC-2341/2342) was $59.75, list price.

Along these same lines, I remember a local Plymouth dealer that sold a new Plymouth every year to a guy that wouldn't have a heater in his car and this is in New York state. The dealer would order the retrofit heater kit when he ordered the car because he knew that he would be taking the car back in trade the following year and that he would not be able to resell the car without a heater. This was in the 1960s.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've seen a few '63 Larks with heater/defroster delete. They had a little plate mounted to the inside of the chrome bezel where the lever goes up and down. I'll go to the shop and see if I can't find one...

EDIT: Here's a pic of the little block off plate.

Matthew Burnette
                    '59 Scotsman
                    '63 Daytona
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

On '63-'66 Lark type models, the Climatizer controls are part of the instrument cluster. What happened if you didn't order the climatizer? Is there a 'mount plate' that didn't have these cable levers for heat & defrost? What about the horizonal hole for the metal air filter in the firewall?

Okay, here are the part numbers for 'Climatizer delete':

1559167 COVER hole (climatizer & defroster controls) (2)
                      1559166 COVER hole (climatizer fan switch) (1)

From the 1965 parts catalog, but should be the same for all '63-'66 sedans and wagons.

Craig

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Comment

Thank you to everyone (especially Matt & Craig). I have an idea for project #2 and I'm in the planning and collecting stage. This would include heater delete.

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I forgot to ask, is there also a 'delete' cover for the fan switch?

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

I forgot to ask, is there also a 'delete' cover for the fan switch?

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

See my above post.

Craig

Comment

All this caused me to look at the production order for my '63 Lark Custom of 12-27-62. The car was sent to CA and the order just says 60 Climatizer. No AC indicated for that or the push button radio or air conditioning

Gary Hildebrandt
                              Gary Hildebrandt

Comment

Working...
                              X