Who says Studebakers aren't tough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who says Studebakers aren't tough?

I went to Charlotte this morning to drop off a Studebaker and to pick mine up. Now my Lark has been idle for a few months and knew that the carb would be dry. We got her cranked and off I went, headed to Raleigh so I could do my eight hours for my wonderful employer. About 15 minutes of highway driving, about 70mph in overdrive, I noticed that the car was slowing down, kind of like the brakes were dragging. All of a sudden, BANG, the rear tires chirped and the car came out of overdrive. Well, I did not see any parts coming from under the car and I eased off of the road. No oil leaking (well the engine leaks a little). I decided that I would press on, cautiously. I eased Betty up to 50,55,60,65 then 75. Three thousand rpms and the old girl was singing right along. I made it about 150 miles without incident. The transmission is making some "different" noises but she should carry me home tonight. I wonder what I broke. I guess I'll swap my T-86 non overdrive tranny back in the car and tear this one down and see what's up.
    Needless to say, I still get a kick out of passing some of the fancier, high priced cars and watching the drivers try to figure out what just passed them.
    Betty is a tough old girl!!
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Classic symptom of blown O/D cluster. Probably ran dry; easy to do since it's separate from the trans. oil.

Same exact thing happened to my Lark wagon.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

This was an unknown condition transmission when I put it in the car. I was full when I put it in back in March. I need to go through it anyway, it had some jumping out of second gear issues.
      Jamie McLeod
      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
      1955 Commander Sedan
      1964 Champ
      1960 Lark

Comment

Jamie, I'm in a similar boat--rebuilding a 3-speed T86 W/ O.D. I need to buy a Studey Shop Manual, but so far no one has been able to tell me which one to buy. Do you have any suggestions as to which one would give me the best info and tips? I've rebuilt (Chevy) 3 and 4-speed trannys before, so I'm somewhat comfortable pulling gears and bearings and syncronizers and shafts out and getting them back in the case so that they work. But a Shop Manual would help me tremendously.
        1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
        1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
        Robert Rausch

Comment

Here is what you will likely find when you open it up:

As you noted, the rest of the trans. will continue on and function just fine (of course, you wouldn't want to do that).
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            Here is what you will likely find when you open it up:

As you noted, the rest of the trans. will continue on and function just fine (of course, you wouldn't want to do that).
            I sure am glad you posted that second picture, Bob! At first, I thought you were telling us that we would either find the gear out of focus, or we needed our glasses adjusted until I scrolled down and saw the second picture!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Got parts?

The T 86 O/H procedures is in most general shop manuals, the 1959 - 64 Studebaker shop manual covers them well with the 'latest' updated info.

We have a good batch of inspected USED parts and NOS parts to make them like new. Inspected/overhauled units are also available.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                I sure am glad you posted that second picture, Bob! At first, I thought you were telling us that we would either find the gear out of focus, or we needed our glasses adjusted until I scrolled down and saw the second picture!
                LOL! In the first picture I was trying to show a close-up of the twisted splines. I'm still to this day trying to get decent at taking pictures
                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

OK, so when this is what the OD looks like inside, what is done to fix it? I think I am in that exact situation myself.

Mike, I pm'd you before seeing this, so please keep that in mind after putting out your efforts for me.

And how do I find someone that can do this work for me? After being a member of the local SDC for a few years, I don't think any of them can do this kind of work, and I have asked.

Comment

Mine was fixed at the '07 SB Meet by some great folks who took mercy on a clueless stranger. Check this thread:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t-SB-Wednesday!

Actually, an old-school transmission shop should be able to do it if you have one. Alternatively, it would not be the end of the world to ship it to one of our Stude shops to get rebuilt. Might be worth it just to know it was done right.
                    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

The T-90 is a T-86 but with a straight cut first gear. This is what I used on my T-90...it has nothing on the overdrive, but is pretty good overall along with the Stude shop manual.

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                      The T 86 O/H procedures is in most general shop manuals, the 1959 - 64 Studebaker shop manual covers them well with the 'latest' updated info.

We have a good batch of inspected USED parts and NOS parts to make them like new. Inspected/overhauled units are also available.
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Studebakers Northwest specializes in rebuilds like Bob had done. SNW brought the hard to find parts from WA to South Bend. Our Transmission guru " Doc" G , WA state, along with Gord R, Alberta, and intersted parties did the rebuild on that T 86 in our swap meet stall at the South Bend meet a few years back.

studebakersnorthwest.com

Comment

Jamie, you're just way too rough on Studebaker transmissions!

BTW, look for your mug shot in the December Turning Wheels.

Comment

My Lark sounds so sweet at highway speeds with barely any mufflers and two and a quarter inch pipes, I have to drive it hard. Someone once told me that the engine in my Lark does not run like a 259. I tend to agree. It seems quite a bit stronger. Maybe it's time for a Doug Nash 5 speed.
                            Jamie McLeod
                            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                            1955 Commander Sedan
                            1964 Champ
                            1960 Lark

Comment

Betty has gone soft sleeping in my garage..............
                              Jack White
                              Charlotte,NC
                              North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Working...
                              X