Route question for I-29...Picking up a "new" Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route question for I-29...Picking up a "new" Stude

Planning a road trip up to Nebraska to pickup a "new" Stude. Was wondering about road conditions on I-29 from Kansas City up to Omaha.

They reopened I-29 a week or so ago so other than some two way traffic around Hamburg,Iowa you should have no problems Fred. Other than having to clean the roadway of debris it withstood the flooding rather well. Most remaining damage is to the east-west roads.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks Frank! That's great news. I'm still surprised that the intersate flooded. I always thought they built those to stay out of the high tide.

So, uh...what are you doing on the 5th? I'll be about 2 hrs west of Omaha, in a corn field, trying to drag a Stude onto a trailer. It should be losts of fun!

Comment

Love to help you Fred but I'll be 1300 miles from here that day. Interstate 29 in northern Missouri and SW Iowa was built in bottom land as you will see once you get to Mound City,MO. When we came down for Branson's show and the Springfield meet we had to detour. I-680 on the north side of Omaha between the Missouri river bridge east to the I-29 interchange, a 3 mile stretch, was more or less completely washed away. Contractors were hired and started rebuilding it, including the road bed, 2 weeks ago, and it is supposed to be done in November.
        Originally posted by ozarkman View Post
        Thanks Frank! That's great news. I'm still surprised that the intersate flooded. I always thought they built those to stay out of the high tide.

So, uh...what are you doing on the 5th? I'll be about 2 hrs west of Omaha, in a corn field, trying to drag a Stude onto a trailer. It should be losts of fun!
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

1300 miles...sounds like Arizona to me.
          Well that must have been one heck of a flood!

Comment

Yes Fred,it was a 100 year flood,something the Army Corps of Engineers released upon us. They had not released enough water upstream at the reservoirs in South Dakota and Montana to handle the excess water that fell from the heavens this year out west. Some former corn fields now look like moonscapes because of all the sand that washed up. Arizona is correct.

Originally posted by ozarkman View Post
            1300 miles...sounds like Arizona to me.
            Well that must have been one heck of a flood!
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Enough of that, Fred, tell us more about the new Stude!<GG>
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                Enough of that, Fred, tell us more about the new Stude!<GG>
                Hahahaha! Well I haven't seen it personaly yet. More details will follow in about 2 weeks. Let's just say I got a really good deal on a parts car...if nothing else, I will come close to break even on scrap value, but will have a good story.

Comment

Did you buy that 62 four door up by Humphry/Cornlea, NE on Ebay?

Jeff T.
                  \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                  The Replacements.

Comment

Just heard that someone from the Kansas City area bought a '26 Studebaker Roadster from an SDC member that lives about two hours west of me. So cars are leaving our state. To the State Patrol, SEAL OFF ALL ROADS OUT!!! <LOL>
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
                      Did you buy that 62 four door up by Humphry/Cornlea, NE on Ebay?

Jeff T.
                      Great detective work Jeff! The price was too good to pass on. She's a little rough, but mostly complete.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good for you

I saw the ebay ad and considered bidding on the off chance the drive train could be refreshed w/o major expense but Lincoln, NE has laws against unlicensed and uninsured parts cars. You can have said parts cars but you have to buy a permit good for six months for around $100.00 per car stored in plain sight.

Jeff T.
                        \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                        The Replacements.

Comment

Working...
                        X