Back to conventional Hog Troughs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to conventional Hog Troughs

If you recall from previous posts, I'm in the process of taking my "Cheap" 1974 Avanti four speed from non-functional to street-able muscle car.

The previous owner advertised stronger than OEM hog troughs. I won't argue the strength issue but overall floor support was lacking.

Forum member Jim Sinclair offered me a pair of hog troughs ( one new, one in repairable shape) at a more than reasonable price. So I accepted his offer and this is the result. Now I just need to glue the rocker panels back that I removed to install the troughs.

This is the new one.

This is the one that needed repair. I didn't spend any time making it pretty-pretty as it won't be going slow enough for anyone to focus on the repair.

This is a shot of the rivets I installed to be sure the old holes were reinforced enough after I matched them with the holes in the new troughs. I recessed the rivets along the door sill so the sill plates would fit flush.

After a day of 44 deg and 60+ MPH wind gusts yesterday, the temperatures are forecast to be high enough this weekend to allow me glue the rockers back.

Next, on to pulling the old 307 and detailing the engine compartment while I build a nasty SBC 383 that I picked up for a song.

Bob

I thought long and hard about replacing the rotted hog troughs in the 52 hardtop with something totally different. Interesting to see the box braces your car had. In the end I fixed the originals, but they are about 70% new steel. Lots of weld lines like your picture 3.

Comment

Don't forget the bonding strips that are riveted to the bottom of the troughs. I would have put them on the troughs before the trough installation or are they still attached to the "sills" or rockers. Usually, the sills have cutouts around the rivets and then covered with filler to provide a flush surface for the sill plates.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
        Don't forget the bonding strips that are riveted to the bottom of the troughs. I would have put them on the troughs before the trough installation or are they still attached to the "sills" or rockers. Usually, the sills have cutouts around the rivets and then covered with filler to provide a flush surface for the sill plates.
        Bill

Appreciate the input. The rivets in the sill are recessed below the sill level using a flat spade bit. I'm in the process of making the bonding strips from cloth and resin. I'll rivet them on before I replace the rockers.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        X