Help Identify please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identify please

On eof my best friends dad bought this car new when he was 19. My friend thinks its a '50 but is not positive. Can you guys help me ID what year and exact model it is?

Ok, I cant get the pics to load, he sent them to me in an email on Jpeg and not on a host site. I stink at this stuff.

Who here is an authority on '49-'51 Bulletnose cars. I believs it is a Business coupe and or starliner???

It is a 2 DOOR has the big wrap around rear window. Who would be the best person to forward the emails too so I can help him ID the photos since I am too dumb to load them....but I can forward emails...so I am getting better at this interweb stuff.

Its a Starlight coupe , year to be determined, 50 or 51
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I think i figured it out by doing a search online. I think it is '50 because it has two openings at the bottom of the hood and less of a smile look to the grill, the '51 does not have those vents or openings and a flatter top line to the grill rather than the curve around the bullet.

I think

Comment

The front end looks like this

Comment

1950 for sure
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, process of elimination. Since I couldn't figure out how to post the pics I was trying find examples to show you guys and realized I answered my own question...lol

Comment

If you look under the hood, on the firewall, on the passenger side, there is a tag with big raised letters and numbers. That tag will tell is the year, model, body style and trim level. For a 50 Champion, it will say 9G-something

9G is 50 Champion. C is starlight coupe. Q is business coupe. F is two door sedan. The number directly after that tells if it is a deluxe, or a regal, or a strippo. The 4 or 5 digit number on the second line is the sequential number of that body style produced.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                If you look under the hood, on the firewall, on the passenger side, there is a tag with big raised letters and numbers. That tag will tell is the year, model, body style and trim level. For a 50 Champion, it will say 9G-something

9G is 50 Champion. C is starlight coupe. Q is business coupe. F is two door sedan. The number directly after that tells if it is a deluxe, or a regal, or a strippo. The 4 or 5 digit number on the second line is the sequential number of that body style produced.
                I appreciate the help, but he does not have the car anymore. His father recently passed and while going thru his stuff he found some really cool old black and white photos of his dad with his new Starlight. He could not remember what year it was or the exact model. I wanted to post them to make sure what it was but I can not figure out how to move them from my email to here.

But with the help here and an Images search I think I got it. Cool pics though.

Comment

One last question, for now, does the Starlight coupe have a back seat or was it like the business coupe with no back seat?

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                    One last question, for now, does the Starlight coupe have a back seat or was it like the business coupe with no back seat?
                    has a back seat, as far as i the one's i have seen.

easiest way to tell from a pic (at least for me), is the '50 has four pieces holding the "bullet" in place, 51's have three...
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                      Yes, a back seat, but it only seats two.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                      X